Atheists: what would you do if you saw someone putting the bible in the fiction center of the library?

I know a Christian would get offended or ask the person to put it elsewhere and rightfully so since they do believe in god.

But I'm asking from the point of view of other atheists besides me, what would you do?

Favorite Answer

I'd lend a hand putting all the other religious books there too.

Well, I would object since the religion section exists for a reason. I doubt a true Christian librarian places books on Hinduism in the fiction section. It has nothing to do with personal belief, insomuch as it does with not insulting someone's beliefs.

I'd laugh really hard. I've done something similar where I took Michael Behe's "Darwin's Black Box" out of the Science section and put it in the Religious Fiction section.

I would never want it in the fiction section because it does not belong there it belongs where all other books of this sort get listed society & culture. in this section you find (many other selections) to choose from. just look and see for yourself too many to list here.

There is no such thing as an atheist because no human being knows everything and has all knowledge as we've seen above. Neither can any person be everywhere at the same time. For a person to be able to confidently say, "There is no God," he'd have to know EVERYTHING that existed EVERYWHERE--and no human being fits that bill. There is no atheist. At the very BEST a person can say, "I'm agnostic" although this is not true either...

• kimy

I probably wouldn't do anything ... but really, that's childish.

If the library itself decided to refile the Bibles as fiction, I wouldn't really care.

People wouldn't be able to find it if it doesn't match its card catalog number. I'd probably put it in the reshelving area so the librarians could deal with it.

I would immediately think that they were copying me!

Because I would be doing (and do) the same thing.

Because that's where it rightfully belongs.

• I'd remind them that it belongs in the theology section, or the religion section, or the mythology section, etc.

Or, conversely, I may just mind my own business.

Laugh and praise whoever put it there! Also, I too think it should be in the mythology section.