CoWbOyCrUsH05 asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

Will my turtle be ok?

My turtle is in a 10 gallon tank with about 4 inches of water and a basking area. It has a filter and a water heater (both completely submersed). With just the water heater on if i turn off his uva/uvb light at night will he be ok? also he is swimming around but part of his shell is sticking out, is this normal? like he's swimming on the top of the water and not the bottom. this is his first day in his new cage and that much water and he's swimming around frantically. is this normal???

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

she is freaking out in her new home, give her a few days to calm down.

She is sick..probably repriatory infection.

Aquatic species are susceptible to respiratory infections. Many respiratory infections that can affect sliders are mild and easily treatable in their EARLY stages, but there are also some particularly infections that can kill a turtle very quickly without veterinary attention. Sliders usually develop respiratory infections when their tank is too cold. Tank must be 75 to 80 degrees. Symptoms of infection include a runny nose, wheezing, lopsided swimming (an ailing lung changes the turtle’s buoyancy), lethargy, and a refusal to eat. If you identify the illness in its early stages, you may be able to treat it by removing the sick slider from its quarters into a new, clean tank (especially if you keep multiple sliders, since the majority of respiratory infections are contagious) and keeping it a few degrees warmer than normal. Warmth is the most crucial factor in treating respiratory infections in the home. If the condition persists for more than a few days or worsens, bring your slider to your veterinarian, who will treat the infection with antibiotics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29035692@N03/sets/721...

• 1 decade ago

Sounds alright other than the tank size. It should really have about 10 gallons per inch of carapace length... with that tank filled the amount you say, it doesn't even have 5 gallons to swim in. Deep water will not hurt a turtle, and will actually make it feel more secure in it's environment.

Please, for your turtle's sake, get a larger tank.

• 4 years ago

i'm unsure yet i do no longer think of turtles swim around in purified water. go away a bucket outdoors and seize some rain water and attempt utilising that. in case you're close to a flow or pond i might get some from there. it relatively is possibly very nicely to apply some faucet water blended with different water. possibly may be ideal to seek the internet for documents on turtle care and habitat maintenance.

• 1 decade ago

A ten gallon tank is fine for a 1 in turtle. Turtle need lots of room. I suggest you read more on your species of turtle at these sites.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org

http://www.anapsid.org

As for the "frantic" swimming its very normal a new tank is a lot of stress on a turtle he may even stop eating for awhile.

Please do the research for your turtle that is the only way to make sure you know how to care for him properly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • no, a ten gallon tank is only adequate for a one inch long turtle. get a bigger tank. they swim kind of at the top when there's only 4 inches of water, theres not even enough room for it to swim at the top or the bottom...

• 1 decade ago

Yes it will be fine w/o uvb bulb at night. Think of it like this in nature does the sun stay up for 24/7. I hope I helped [=

• 1 decade ago

yes he should be fine and all that's normal stuff.

in not to long hell be swimming all over up and down in the cage

Source(s): breed and kept reptiles for over 7 years now. work at a private pet store for over a year and have a vast knowledge of reptiles. I have a current personal collection of 3 box turtles, 3 leopard geckos, 4 beardies, a Sudan plated lizard,a 2' ball python, a uromastyx and a 28inch Savannah monitor. i also keep over 1000 crickets at anyone time.
  • 1 decade ago

yes

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i think they should be fine look it up online

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.