omar asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

I put a fish from its tank into a bowl and it became the size of a peach, what happened?

I just took the fish out of the tank and into a bowl of water and it just started swelling up.

I'm pretty sure it's a saltwater fish and I put it in a bowl of fresh water. Is that bad? I only did it for a a few minutes...

Well, I did some research and it turns out (maybe) that this happened because the fresh water (high concentration) went into the fish which is basically salt water, so the concentration of pure water was a lower concentration in the fish. Water goes from high concentration (water in bowl) to low concentration (saltwater fish).

confused!!, I wasn't trying to be cruel to it, I had no idea what was happening, the whole reason I came on Yahoo answers...

Favorite Answer

Yup- water potential- water flows down its concentration gradient.

Why would you do that? Poor fish. I'm sure you shouldn't have pets if you are going to subject them to such cruelty.

• JenV

That's strange. Saltwater fish can be treated for certain illnesses by briefly submersing them in fresh water, so I doubt that's the only factor involved. My best bet would be that it's a puffer-fish and it has swelled up due to the stress of being moved.

What type of water did you use?

Did you allow the fish to acclimate to the new temperature?

Fish don't stop breathing for a few minutes. A saltwater fish cannot survive in freshwater.

No, you elect far greater water than that so the water does not get polluted to no longer point out a clear out. Why might you utilize a tank air purifier in a small bowl besides? In water that small you will possibly desire to be cleansing it daily to renounce the strengthen of ammonia interior the water with the intention to no longer kill your fish.

why? why did you put a saltwater fish in freshwater? and a bowl for that matter? put it back in it's tank now.

what kind of fish is it anyways?

Probably because it wasn't used to leaving the tank.I'm not a fish expert just a guess lol.

IT'S CRUCIAL TO TEST THE WATER YOU ARE TRANSFERING TO- SAME PROPERTIES AND TEMP. I AM THINKING IT WAS ONE OF THESE THAT MADE YOUR FISH SWELL . DID IT EVENTUALLY DIE? IF A FISHES BODY TEMP CHANGES DRASTICALLY IT CAN AFFECT IT'S BLADDER,WHICH WILL SWELL AND TURN THE FISH UPSIDE DOWN. THERE IS NO CURE FOR THIS AND THE FISH WILL "DROWN."

its b/c the freshwater its a saltwater fish

could of been the ph of the water.

Was the bowl large and clear?

Some fish actually grow when placed in a clear or less crowded container, where they feel that they have more room.

Source(s): I worked at pet store and saw this.

Maybe it was stressed out? But, really, I don't think anyone can tell by that little amount of details.