Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 1 decade ago

Is tanning bad for you.?

Right now I am sickly pale, to where pretty soon my legs might be more purple than white! It is gross. And I am going to Texas in a couple weeks, so a nice little tan would be handy. So I was wondering. If I were to go for 20 minutes maybe once a week for the next week, how bad would it REALLY be for me. I have never been tanning before and this will be it until it is probably spring. So really how bad would it be for my skin?

Favorite Answer

The notion that natural gentle tanning is bad for you is absolute #$%^&* and it makes me fume that so many people still believe it.

There are huge correlations between most cancers and multiple sclerosis, and Vitamin D level. Low Vitamin D = low immunity = high chance of disease - including, ironically, Melanoma. So it's absolutely essential for health that you get a little sun on a regular basis.

Recent research from Australia shows that the BEST time to go out in the sun for melanoma avoidance is in the middle hours of the day when the sun is highest and strongest. Yes - the exact opposite of scientists' prior assumptions before they studied it properly. Sun at a low angle in the morning and evening will not burn so quickly but is chock full of the spectrum of UV rays related to skin cancer.

So be your own judge. You know your body - how much sun feels healthful and invigorating, and when it's getting to be too much. Trust that, and take basic precautions for your skin type, and you'll be FINE.

If you have pale skin and blue or green eyes your at risk. Make sure you have a strong lotion to protect you from the rays. Avoid 11am to 3pm sun if possible. Forget the tan salon. Skin cancer is on the rise. I know I have a couple of nice marks left by major surgery because of the sun. Yes it can kill you and you might only find out in 30 years about it. You don't want a melanoma type 3 or 4 skin cancer. I know I've been there. I also know a girl from the cancer ward and her face shows a scar that splits her cheek in two up to her nose. Think of John McCain he only had a type 2 from what I think and a fine mark on his face.

• Poopy

ABSOLUTELY it is bad for you, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Melanoma (skin cancer) is one of the most lethal types of cancer if it is allowed to progress. Cancer is basically just the irregular and unchecked growth of damaged cells, and the UV rays that make you tan, also cause your skin cells to mutate as a reaction to the damage. So yeah - tan long enough, and you'll pay the price with your health.

I would look into using some of those self-tanners, if I were you. Jergens makes one that gives you a nice, golden color (no orange stain!), plus it smells nice and isn't too expensive. It won't make you look like you just walked in off the beach, but at least you won't be fish-belly white.

Source(s): Proud to be fish-belly white. :)

Tanning Salons can cause skin cancer, if you go there like every single day for more than an 1hr.

I would say to go to a tanning salon but for a max of 30 min, no more than 3 times a week!

if you just sit out in the sun for like 10 minutes every once in a while just so you don't get ghostly pale it wont be all too bad. you can try some sprays that will make you a little tanner without even going outside. definitely don't go to a tanning bed

Skin Cancer happens, even while getting a little sun. And it is painful, and has to be CUT OFF. Is a tan worth it, not to me. I'll deal with my purple/white skin and love it.

Tanning beds are just as bad for your skin if not worse than the sun. Maybe try some of that tanning lotion instead. I use Vaseline intensive care healthy glow lotion, and it makes my skin look just as tan as tanning does. Plus it's safer.

No way girlie! Tanning at a tanning salon is bad for your skin. If you ever do sweetie never go over 10 minutes! I know its short but true! It can cause skin cancer!!!!!!!! Yup skin cancer. I think you will be fine! Just be happy with yourself! I hope I helped!

Tanning is kind of bad, u can get skin cancer or hurt your eyes (but it is very rare). I do go tanning and it is fun lol and its really addictive...at first you should go only for 15 minutes or less (so u wont get burned) and its ok to go more than once a week.

tanning isnt very healthy so i'd advise you to be happy with your natural skin tone. however if you feel like you absolutely have to tan i'd only go for 15 minutes the first time so you don't burn.