For Jewish friends: What does the following phrase mean to you?

מוות הוא תחילת החיים

Wow, great answers so far. I didn't expect so many responses.

• Favorite Answer

Death is the beginning of life.

It's a nice saying. It matches the sentiment of Pirkei Avot 4:21

"Rabbi Yaakov used to say: This world is like a hallway to the future world. Prepare yourself in the hallway that you may enter into the banquet hall."

This world is only preparation. When we reach Olam haba, then we'll see how our work paid off and we'll truly start living.

Source(s): Religious Jew

I don't agree with it literally.

Although, I do like to think that once you have accepted your own mortality, you can start to see your life more clearly, without some fear of death constantly in your head.

It would be correct if you said

המוות הוא חלק מהחיים

(Death is a part of life)

Gershon:

Lit: Death is start of life.

Explanation: In Judaism, this is the world of 'work', and the next world (after death) is the world of 'reward'.

In the next world, no more work can be done, and how much you have earned you have earned.

The whole purpose of this world is like working: to accumulate wealth for when you are not working, i.e. in the next world.

Everyone starts on the same 'income' level. There is a level playing field. So get started :p

• kismet

This says:

Death is the beginning of life.

If one believes in the olam-haba then this is true. However, let's not forget that the only way for a Jewish person to be spiritually elevated, she or he has to be in this world and perfom as many mitzvot as possible. Once we reach the next world, this is no longer possible.

Source(s): I am Jewish and Orthodox; Hebrew is my first language.

Death (or perhaps the realization of one's mortality) is the start of living. Perhaps the realization that there is only so much that one can accomplish on earh is the stimulus to actually *do* those things.

That's weird, I thought it's actually the end.

And I don't just mean literally. Even if you survive death, you won't have the same life.

death is the begining of life

Death is the beginning of life. tmm

Source(s): google translate