Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

how do you know when you've finished burping you baby?

Update:

people that answered "when they burp" think its a stupid question when they are really giving a stupid answer cuz a baby can burp not only once but several times, and not be finished ...

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

I know everyone says "when they burp" but gosh darn it's hard to tell... my little guy would go more than five minutes with me patting him on the back, or laying him on his tummy and still wouldn't burp. Or he'd burp several times big or small. So, just watch your baby for cues. If he/she's latched on really well sometimes they don't have to burp. If my son hadn't burped after 5 minutes I put him back on. If he gave a small burp I'd wait a while and usually he'd burp again.

Good luck and God bless!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, sometimes a baby will have more then one burp. The way I always tell whether or not they need to be burped a little more is by feeling their stomach. You can usually feel the liquid or a gas bubble in there. You will learn quickly when baby is here. Good luck!

Edit-they do not always spit up as Janna said, but it is common for babies to do that (usually that means they drank too much, too fast..or you didnt burp them well enough)

Sometimes bouncing them up and down a little on your knee (in the sitting position) will help to bring up the burp, and rubbing their back will do so as well

• 1 decade ago

If they let out a big burp chances are they are done. If they let out a little burp then continue to burp a few more minutes then they should be fine. Also if they won't burp for you try laying them on their backs for a minute then picking them up again. That usually does the trick.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

after he burps keep rubbing his back there might be some little one still there but you shouldn't have to do it for that long after a while you will know i use to tell by feeling her belly u can tell the difference between full and when they need to burp

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

AFTER YOUR BABY HAS BURPED AND YOU THINK THAT HE MIGHT NEED TO BURP AGAIN, TO BE SURE, LAY HIM ON YOUR CHEST AND RUB HIS BACK. IF HE STARTS SQUIRMING AND FUSSING, HE STILL HAS AIR AND NEEDS TO BE BURPED SOME MORE

• 1 decade ago

when they have burped ( a good half an hour) and thrown up ( a little bit)

that when u know

• when they burp.

• 1 decade ago

umm...when they burp.

• 1 decade ago

well they burp...

• 1 decade ago

Once you hear them burb. Sometimes they even burb on their own.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.