Lady Godiva asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

A question about a horse barn?

It's kind of long just because there's a bit of history to consider before answering. . .

I live on a farm, atm our fields are down and our barn houses our birds (peacocks). The farmer who uses our land used to trade us hay and give us a dollar to farm on our land. It was a fair trade, but since we dont have horses anymore, he hasnt had to give us hay/trade us hay nor has he paid his dollar for the last few years.

This spring we had asked the farmer to please plow our horse fields so we could replant them. He never did. So we spend the summer waiting, I've been wanting to buy a horse to start riding again. . . instead now I'm opting for a lease agreement with someone. I have a horse I can lease now, but no place to put it on our farm. I want to talk to the farmer and ask if I could lease out a stall in his barn.

I dont know what to offer him. I'd just be using the stall and his one field a few times a week to let the horse graze and strech besides trail riding.

I didnt want to offer more then 100 dollars, but I dont know if that's too much or not enough. What would you offer them? Should I also mention the fact he still owes us for using our land, or not?

I'll be feeding, buying the beding, mucking, watering, and basically doing everything for the horse, I'd just like it to be close to our house.

Thanks.

I only asked about how much would be a fair price to offer.

I live in Pa, I've been around horses and riding since I was 6 (I'm 22 now) and I know Pa winters better then you, western, so there is no way I'm letting this horse out when it's icy, when there's 6 feet of snow, and when the fact is our fields are on the side of 2 hills, and their field is on a steply slopped area...

So please for future referance, PLEASE just answer the question I asked, not something totally different. I dont need help in how to take care of the horse, I need advice on how to talk to the farm and what to offer him.

• gallop
    Favorite Answer

We deal with an area farmer for planting and baling our hay, and another who leases the field next to us from the forest preserve. We are in the midwest, and there are definitely right ways and wrong ways to approach things. We have always practiced less is more, and it has paid off. That farmer, if he is not senile and suffering dementia, knows very well that he hasn't paid you and that he didn't do your field. Farmers sometimes take two years to address something like that, but they don't forget it. So, I would not bring that up. I would also not even suggest a price to pay, but only that you are willing to pay for it. If he is anything like the farmers I know, he may never ask you to pay anything, and won't want you yakking about it either. Just tell him your plan and ask him to think about how much he wants to charge, and set a date for when you need an answer. If he comes up with something like charging you ten dollars, don't fuss about it. Just thank him, because you will embarrass him if you go on about it. Trust me on this....I've dealt with midwestern farmers for years.....I don't imagine they are all that different in Pennsylvania.

Depending on where you are located has to do with a 100.00 being to much or to little. The fact that he still owes you is a big thing. That should be included in the deal. You should ask about the stall and see if he gives you a price. Deal off of the price he gives you and bring up the money owed at that time.

Source(s): This information that I gave. Was from doing a simular deal.

Well I think a horse should be out in the field more instead of in a stall. A horse should be out everyday. And I'm not sure about what to offer..it just depends. But I totally suggest that you keep a horse outside more than in a stall. Trust me, he'll be happier.

Source(s): I own a horse and been riding for a long time