Model Gal asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

I can't really tell if this is depression...?

Well, two months ago, I got a bunch of symptom sthat I didn't have an identified cause, or resaon or treatment for. My life is great, nice family, well, nice most--- nice sometimes. I don't have many friends, and I am doing well in school. But, I feel unwanted, unloved, I don't like any of my hobbies I dreamed of years ago, I haven't considered it, but thought about what death is like, and thought about running away several times. I think that if death were to happen to me, no one would care, and nothing would really be different. Im almost always never happy, and always doubt myself. I haven't heard a real laugh from myself in 4 months. I just don't know what to do. I also can't fall asleep or stay alseep, I can stand just the smallest bit of annoyance, and I can't focus on a simple task, but I have ADD, attention deficit disorder. I also have been always hungry, and empty. Can you help me?

My problem is that my parents get upset at a B for a grade on a test, so if i brought this up, well, it wouldn't go over well...

And my ADD meds make me not want to eat, or grow, and if i take a homework dosage, it will keep me up late. And i share a room with my sister, and I always will share a room, but she turns lights on and makes noises, could this disturb my sleeping possibly?

Favorite Answer

There are definitely signs of depression symptoms there but keep in mind that people do go through these phases from time to time.

Ultimately you can either address these feelings on your own or get professional help - which ever you feel more comfortable with. Some people prefer to try and address the problem without professional help and many succeed.

Firstly, you need to look at how you can improve your sleep patterns. Both Sleep onset and sleep maintenance insomnia can affect your judgement and perceptions. I suggest listening to soothing music before you go to sleep, maybe have a warm, relaxing bath and try deep and slow breathing. If you do wake up in the night, try not to get up as this will often just wake you up more and further disturb the sleep pattern.

Next, look at your diet. It may be difficult to find the motivation but try and eat healthy - lots of fruits, vegetables, grains, meat and plenty of water. Also, don't skimp on the CARBS!! This will give you more energy and may also help with your sleeping problems.

Thirdly, get active! Exercise has proven to release the neurotransmitter 'endorphins' in the brain which have been linked to feelings of happiness :) Try and be active out in the sun as vitamin D has also been linked to feeling happy. Also, exercise will help with your sleep patterns.

Fourthly, don't let yourself become alienated from your friends. It may be hard to find the motivation but try and spend time with them. This will hopefully help to eradicate those feelings of being unwanted and unloved.

Finally, and this is the most difficult, but if you truly want to get through this, you're going to have to be proactive. Work at changing how you react to things. It's a difficult process but I've known quite a number of people who have perfected this to be able to quit their meds.

I.e. you say you don't like your hobbies. Ask yourself, why? Is there a specific problem? Something about them you find difficult? If you can't justify your aversion then you need to focus on the positive aspects of them and work hard at finding the enjoyment that you once did. Otherwise - quite simply - find new hobbies. Life's too short to be stuck doing unnecessary things that you don't enjoy :)

If something bad happens, work at not generalising it. I.e. your friend snaps at you.

You may be tempted to react in this sort of way: 'who can blame her? i'm so stupid and annoying. she probably hates me. the rest of them probably hate me, too...'

Try to make it more specific:

'What's her problem? There was nothing wrong with that comment. Ah, well.'

If you find no improvement after trying these things out, I'd suggest professional help. There's also nothing wrong with seeking professional help first up, either :)

Hope that helps. Good luck!

yes, i honestly believe that you have depression. You see i am feeling the same way. It is common for people suffering fom depression to feel unloved, and unwanted. I feel the same way, and i always think how everyone would be more comfotable without me. I have also lost interest in many of my hobbies. I dont exercise anymore, i dont go and have fun. I dont have that many friends, or ones that i would call close friends. i only get 2 or 3 hours sleep at night, and i find it hard to focus in class. i know alreadly that i have depression, and what i have talked about already are many common symptoms of depression. why dont you talk to your parents, or a responisble adult you trust and see a doctor, to get you diagnosed.

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

Sounds that way. I'd try getting out and doing what you want to do, find what makes you happy and focus on it. If your unable to find your happiness, I would consider trying counseling and going to the doc for anti-depressants.

I hated the thought of admitting I was depressed and needed help, but it is the best thing you can do for yourself.

It sounds like you could have depression. I understand a lot of what you're going through right now, i feel the same way in a lot of things. If you need to talk, feel free to message or email me.