***Marbury v. Madison*** What Happened?

I have to do research on the top 20 supreme court rullings.

In Marbury vs. Madison exactly what happened. I know that it established the judical review, but how did it do so.

Please put answer in Laymans terms

• Frosty
    Favorite Answer

Judicial review is the power of the courts to annul the acts of the executive and/or the legislative power where it finds them incompatible with a higher norm. Judicial review is an example of the functioning of separation of powers in a modern governmental system (where the judiciary is one of several branches of government).

This means that the Judicial Branch of the government can check and/or balance the Executive Branch and/or the Legislative Branch if the problem violates the Constitution. That is one of the checks and balances set up in the Constitution. This way no one branch has all the power.

Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (1 Cranch) 137 (1803) is a landmark case in United States law. It formed the basis for the exercise of judicial review in the United States under Article III of the Constitution.

This case resulted from a petition to the Supreme Court by William Marbury, who had been appointed as Justice of the Peace in the District of Columbia by President John Adams shortly before leaving office, but whose commission was not delivered as required by John Marshall, Adams' Secretary of State. When Thomas Jefferson assumed office, he ordered the new Secretary of State, James Madison, to withhold Marbury's and several other men's commissions. Being unable to assume the appointed offices without the commission documents, Marbury and three others petitioned the Court to force Madison to deliver the commission to Marbury. The Supreme Court denied Marbury's petition, holding that the statute upon which he based his claim was unconstitutional.

Judicial Review Marbury V Madison

Marbury V Madison Judicial Review

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avmcP

Like the above stated, I cannot find definitive info that says "then marbury did this" or "marbury didn't do anything after this". The best piece of information that I found stated that he never became a Justice of the Peace in Washington D.C. I'm assuming this means that he never sued again. The lack of information would lead us to believe that Marbury didn't do anything significant after the Marbury v. Madison case.

• Joyce

I don't know I can't find it but if Marbury had we would have heard