The Hobbit: Does Bilbo manipulate people for their own good?

I am writing a 2 minute speech on The Hobbit. I am arguing that Bilbo manipulates people for their own good. I need some ideas for an introduction, central arguments, or a conclusion. I am mostly in need of points to argue/central arguments. I also have to have a counter argument. If you can give me a little information or a push, I can write it, I just need some ideas. I don't care how detailed your answers are, it can start at one sentence and be as long as you want. I'm open to any ideas. I'm just having a little trouble getting the motivation to start. Best answer to.... whoever gives me the best answer :)

Thanks!

• reader
    Favorite Answer

The whole situation with the Arkenstone is going to give you the best material for that speech. I'd focus on that and go from there.

List your situations in which he dose this. Honestly I can't think of one. I think he manipulates on accident or coincidence more than for their own good personally. Such as when he tricked gollum into leading him out of the goblin's lair. Or when he entices Smog to leave his lair. As you see, I don't think he does it on purpose.