How do I make my baby stop waking up at night for a bottle?

When my son was about 6 months old he started waking up at night again because of his teething. My husband and I started giving him a bottle to soothe him back to sleep. Little did we know that this would be the worst thing to do. Now he just turned 1 year old and wakes up at 1am and 4am for his bottle. Ive tried giving him water instead but 20 min later he wakes up again screaming. How do I make him sleep through the night again? Do I just have to let him cry until he gets used to it?

Favorite Answer

try giving him a cup of whatever he likes instead of the bottle, jst a small sip when he wakes up. eventually (probably with some crying) he will no longer wake up for that small sip.

its hard to watch him cry but if keep waking up to give him the bottle he will never learn to sleep thro the night.

and most of all whatever that is in that bottle if not water WILL rot his teeth. no matter how little sugar is in it. milk/juice will make his teeth soft and they will eventually rot

I can understand still waking up for one night feeding at age one, but not two. I suggest letting him cry it out until sometime in between those feedings, about 2:45 a.m. and then feed him. Eventually it won't be needed, but he's your baby :-)

Does he have a bottle before bed? He could be having a spurt and needs the extra calories-

Source(s): Mum of 4, nurse

try rice cereal before bed,a nice bath before bed and a warm outfit to sleep in.

Thats what i do for my 5 month old

i would try to get him on a feeding schedule but dont let him cry it out or he might have a eating disorder.