Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 decade ago

What does the wheel size (14, 15, 16") have to do with anything?

I am looking at new cars and they give different options for wheels in inches (14, 15, or 16 usually). I guess I've always had cars with the smallest or cheapest, but I want something that doesn't slide around on ice or snow as much. Would I need to upgrade the wheel size in order to get better tires? Or is the wheel size just for looks?

Favorite Answer

The larger the wheel the smaller the tire. In other words by increasing the size of the wheel the tire side wall is made shorter. This GREATLY improves handling as a tall tire is mushy rather than firm.

Not to mention that often times that larger rim will be wider which translates to more grip and more stability.

Source(s): Anyone who says a larger wheel is just for looks knows jack nothing about cars. All the performance cars come with 18" or larger wheels.. why do you think that is?

The wheel size really does not matter as far as performance. People buy larger wheels for the appearance. You can get a great tire for snow and everyday driving on any of these sizes of tires.

The larger wheel sizes are strictly for looks, and have no positive features.

In fact, they are a problem with potholes. Hit a big pothole with a 18-20 inch wheel and your wheel is ruined.

Source: Consumer Reports.

.

Larger wheels are normally just for looks.

They will also make the car handle slightly better, but comfort will be less then a car with smaller wheels.

it seems that a biger wheel may improve handling as there will be more grip but i think the extra grip may not improve that much but probabily as when you get a custom wheel you may lower the car and change susspension, that may lead to better cornering, not worth the cost if your car is only a few hundred pounds worth which seems to be the trend these days... a lot of modification on cheap old cars :-) bless them.