Is St Edmund the real patron saint of the English?

I have become very confused in the search for discovery on who decided that the patron saint of England should and then would be St George. Yes, I have read a whole pile of material telling the tale of the Order of the Garter, Edward III, the order to fly flags on St Georges day under Henry...... there is so much... show more I have become very confused in the search for discovery on who decided that the patron saint of England should and then would be St George. Yes, I have read a whole pile of material telling the tale of the Order of the Garter, Edward III, the order to fly flags on St Georges day under Henry...... there is so much of it.... and yet something very important is missing.

Nowhere have I yet seen an order given to state that the patron saint of England is St George and that St Edmund is to be downgraded. The very act of making St George the patron of the Order of the Garter appewars to signify something of a closed shop - and therefore the assumption of patronage to England is much misplaced.