promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is St Edmund the real patron saint of the English?

I have become very confused in the search for discovery on who decided that the patron saint of England should and then would be St George. Yes, I have read a whole pile of material telling the tale of the Order of the Garter, Edward III, the order to fly flags on St Georges day under Henry...... there is so much of it.... and yet something very important is missing.

Nowhere have I yet seen an order given to state that the patron saint of England is St George and that St Edmund is to be downgraded. The very act of making St George the patron of the Order of the Garter appewars to signify something of a closed shop - and therefore the assumption of patronage to England is much misplaced.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is some doubt today as to whether either one actually lived. Both the Church of Rome and the Church of England are starting to rethink these matters. Saint George has been Patron Saint of England since the middle ages, by Papal decree, and by royal decree from the then king.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Absolutely nothing. The original patron saint of England was Edward the Confessor but he was dumped when the Normans invaded and occupied England from 1066 to the present day. They have never been defeated and thrown out so when they changed St Edward for St George the English have been stuck with him ever since.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.