Incognito asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Adopting The Least Likely To Be Adopted (Dog)?

So I'v Been Going Through A Rough Year, But Since I'm Getting Settled In Again It's Almost Time To Add A New Dog Into My Life, So I'v Been Reading Up On Breeds & I Like Strong Willed Breeds, Always Have, But Yet Again My Mother Used To Breed Shar Pei So I'm Used To It. I'm One Who Normally Buys From Breeders, But Since I'v Been Going Through Hell The Last Year It Makes Me Want To Help Someone Out Who Also's Been Homeless.

Well They Say That The 4 Biggest Things That Keeps Dogs From Finding A New Home Is: Being Large, Being Black, Being Old & Being An American Pit Bull Terrier, So I'v Almost Made Up My Mind To Adopt A Dark Colored Senior (6 Year Old Or Older) Pit, But Here's The Questions I Have...

Will A Shelter Adopt A Pit To Me Since I'm Only 20, Don't Own My Own Home (But Where I'm Renting Dogs Are Okay) & Even If They Would Adopt, Would They Adopt A Pit?

What Are Your Thoughts?

Am I Dumb For Wanting To Adopt The Least Likely To Be Adopted?

Favorite Answer

I commend you for wanting to adopt the least likely dog to be adopted. Your right about the last dogs to be adopted are big, black, old pits. Go to www.spbr.org and read about the founder of that pit bull group. He did exactly what you want to do. He went into a shelter and asked to adopt the dog least likely to be adopted. It wasn't black and old but it was a large pit bull. From that adoption his love for pits grew and he founded the rescue. That dogs name is Precious.

First, be absolutely sure your landlord will allow a pit. Many will not. Most shelters require a letter from the landlord saying that large breeds are allowed - otherwise, the dog usually just ends up back at the shelter.

Second, there are lots of other large, dark-colored breeds out there! Don't limit yourself just to pits. A senior Great Dane is an equally good choice!

Finally, no, you are absolutely not "dumb." You are giving an older dog the best - and perhaps only - home he will ever know. Most of my dogs I've had as puppies, but I did adopt the most recent one - an older black dog who was missing a tail and had never been housetrained. All my dogs love me, but the rescue is *in* love with me :) And once she realized that there would always be food and love, training was easy.

For my shelter:

You must be 18

You must own your home or have explicit letter of permission from landlord- with current contact phone #

You must have a job or provide proof of household income

You must have prior experience with the breed being considered or a similiar size/temperament breed

You must sign a spay/neuter contract and give deposit if the dog is not already s/n

You must be prepared to return the dog to the shelter with NO refund if it does not work out

You should have a fenced yard, a crate, or a dog-sitter/walker to help you when you are not home

You should have an existing relationship with a vet before you adopt

You should bring any other animals the dog will be in contact with on a regular basis to the shelter to see how they will interact

My suggestion:

Just because a dog is the 'least adoptable' does not make it the perfect candidate for you. It is a very noble and loving gesture to want to help the most helpless, but is it realistic? Is this dog a size and termperament that you can handle, that will compliment your lifestyle and fit your needs? Are you the person who can fulfill all HER needs? Ask yourself these questions very seriously before adopting on impulse. There may be a medium-sized, 5 year old, brown mutt that needs you just as much. Make the right choice, for your sake, and for the life of the dog.

Good luck.

Source(s): shelter volunteer

It is great you want to adopt the unadoptable. Every shelter or rescue is different. Rescues usually require a home visit and references. The shelters in my area will adopt anything to anyone over 18. No questions asked. Not my idea of ideal but they do.

Check with your landord about any size or breed restrictions for allowed pets. If you adopt a pit your housing choices in the future may be even more limited than with another breed of dog.

There are many other big, black, older dogs that are in danger that would suit you also. Don't limit yourself too much by preconcieved criteria. You may miss out on your perfect dog at the shelter.

There are more important things than breed and color. Like energy level, temperament ect.

No you're not dumb (though this post was hard to read -- what's with the caps?). One thing I would check in your apartment is if there are any breed bans. Some places that allow dogs do ban pit bulls (and other so-called "vicious" breeds), so I would first make sure that's not part of it.

We adopted a 2 1/2 year old big black dog 6 months ago. Good for you for wanting to give a BBD a home and especially an older one. Far too many people just want puppies.

I think what you are doing is great. Some shelters and rescues will not adopt to people who don't have a fenced yard, some will. Most shelters adopt to anyone over 18, though some discriminate against the elderly. As long as pit bulls aren't restricted by your landlord or community, you should be good to go. If your local shelter won't adopt to you, keep checking around. Look on www.petfinder.com or do a search for bully rescues in your area.

For anyone who wants more info on Big Black Dog Syndrome, www.blackpearldogs.com is a great site.

• g g

A lot of shelters will not adopt out American Pit Bull Terriers or other Bully Breeds, because of the risk of liability lawsuits. Some however work with breed specific rescue groups who know the breeds best. If you can't find one at your local shelter, try to find a rescue in your area. Just google Pit Bull rescue and your state/county.

• Desoto

I do think you have concidered weather or not it would fit your lifetyle. As you said you have done research and your mother owned Shar peis (does it get more hard headed than that? ;) And are prepared to deal with the extensive training a shelter dog takes. I wouldnt get a senior dog, maybe one that is two or three as they will have less health problems. At 20 you may not have the funds to care for a senior dog, I know I don't!

You may have to try alot harder than a probebly less qualified and prepared person who is older. Alot of breederd wont sell powerful breeds to young owners and shelters can be even more particular. Try all the shelters and rescue organizations in your area and outside of it, and you may luck out.

I also disagree slightly with the top 4 reasons dogs are looked over. High energy dogs are always in shelters and are often repeat visitors to the shelter. Check out pet finder, my chosen breeds aussies and border collies are normally amoung the top ten

It depends on your local shelter to be honest. Some require fenced in property, some do not. And most (hopefully) are more stern when it comes to adopting out American Pit Bulls because of their temperament and the idiots who like to breed them.

Study up on the breed, make sure they are what you want. They require a lot of work. And go talk to your local shelter, let them know what you're looking for and see what they say or suggest.

I think it's great you are wanting to adopt an "unadoptable" dog.

We all feel a bit of pity for the Last Picked in Gym Class type of dog. However, I think there are more conditions that apply to adopting a dog rather than just picking out the sorriest one out of the group. Consider its history and everything as well when you try and pick out your soon to be dog.

However (!!) In almost every instance, an adoptive doggy parent must be at least 21 years of age or older; not to mention providing means of supporting the dog and proof that the potential adoptee is allowed within the home (apartments, etc).