What's the best gift you can give to an 85-year old?

my father in-law is celebrating his 85th year on saturday.

he has slight dementia.... loses his memory every now and then.

any ideas for a birthday gift to give?

Favorite Answer

Yes, the picture of you or your children is the best.

An alternative (if he already has one) is a recording of Mozart music. My favourites are the quintets with 2 violas (alternatives: the string quartets or the piano concertos, but there is much more...)

But, above all...time. What an old person enjoys more is the company of other people. Sitting by his side and listening to the stories that he can tell. Maybe he will not have the iniciative, but probably you remember some stories he told you. Ask him to tell them again. He will enjoy it no matter the fact that both you know that you already know the story.

Mostly the memory that old people loose is the one for close facts, but they keep vividly some important things that happened in their life many years ago.

Also, human contact. Well, this depends on the culture, but I find they thank holding their hand, a gentle kiss or looking to them with a smile. It means: "I know you are here and I enjoy your presence now".

An one day they are gone, and the best you have is the image of their eyes looking at you with gratitude, and that's one of the best treasures there are in life.

Source(s): My own experience with my mother who passed away last year.

Gifts For 85 Year Old Man

Jigsaw Puzzles are good for fine motor skills and for keeping the mind sharp. Get simpler ones, say 300 pieces. Maybe even 200 depending on the level of dementia. Look for ones that don't have the same item depicted over and over again as it is both more challenging and confusing.

Make them something! Homemade gifts are better than any store bought gifts. Anyone can appreciate them! Even your grandparents! Another thing you can do is just tell them that you needed to get them a gift and smile and give them a hug! Hope I helped! Have a very Merry Christmas!

Since your grandfather has slightly dementia then maybe you can give hime a chain with the photo of both of you. Try to spend time with him and chat with him. I have 85yrs grandmother who had loses her memory for a period of time but she only remember me, her best grand-daughter as she said, now she alright already. Remember to spend time and chat with him about the older day.

Find old family albums, you can buy something but to be honest, memories and pictures of loved ones would be rather nice...

Source(s): Hope it helps!

I'M NO EXPERT, BUT I HAVE SEEN A LOT IN MY LIFE, THE ONE THING A PERSON THAT OLD AND IN THAT SHAPE WOULD BRING A EVERLASTING SMILE TO HIS FACE, GET HIM A GOOD DOG, GO FOR A GOOD BREED THATS LOVABLE, NO PUPPY,ABOUT A YEAR OLD.

Source(s): LIFES LITTLE SECRETS.

Your love and hugs and kisses!!!

• his memory back..........umm, the prime of his life back?......a viagra?