Local Police Car Color Changes?

The local police force used to drive the classic Black and White Crown Vic. They have recently moved to maroon and silver crown vics with a washed out water mark instead of blatant POLICE and 911 decals and have moved the light bar inside the vehicle. This makes me feel as though they don't want to be seen, a major plus when doing speed traps etc. But their badge says "to protect and serve." The new cars blend in with traffic better than the old ones, so isn't this counter productive? If i am being mugged and saw the classic black and white i could wave it down for help, but with the new cars, i would be sure and it definitely wouldn't pop out at me. What is your opinion on the matter?

They completely got rid of the old black and whites. And I'm not trying to start an argument, i was hoping a police officer would explain further reasoning behind it. And in the area i live (moderately wealthy = more tax money) the police department chooses their cars especially when the back is marked 'police interceptor' I believe if they were gifts, 1 they wouldn't be such popular colors and 2 they would be a bunch of different colors and models.

Favorite Answer

Gramt here is the down right facts about your question.

Briefly - for the last 5 yrs or so - law enforcement was returning to the traditional black and white combo squad cars - I think it looks good - but it is not the only option that looks good. It really comes down to costs.

A black and white combo police car color is an additional charge from Ford or Chevy or Dodge - and when you buy a lot - or a little - of them the costs add up. This is also a problems at resale - most cars are auctioned and most buyers are cab companies - which do not want black and white - most prefer plain white cars. So selling cars at auction will also draw a lower price if they are black and white.

Many times you will see a new car design when a new top administrator is hired at your local PD - this is the easiest way to show new bosses influence when hired - and after 5 years or so - most guys in patrol want to see something different.

Source(s): ME LEO 24 yrs
  • SusiQ

I guess this is happening somewhere else because LA still has the good old fashioned black and white crown vics.

I've seen Dodge Chargers as police cars too but even though it is such a new car, they were still black and white.

I am really curious to see what the new colors look like!

And you know....if they are changing the color I'm sure it has a good reason behind it.

They protect and serve no matter what color the cars are, I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to the new cars.

ROTFLMFAO

The art of concealment or to blend in. Always said could see a police car a mile away?

If you can see it in traffic, what do you think the criminal element can see? (They are usually on the lookout for a marked car.)

Have driven in a Corvette, a Ford GT, a Van all as what the bidding process procured. The vet was for speed in chasing down offenders with Muscle cars 1970's. The mustang was a gift from a local dealership, the Van was used as transportation of 8-9 drunks at a time to jail.

Some police departments are using low profile cars as traffic and pursuit cars. The local PD in my city use both the low profile vehicles and the regular black and whites. The newer black and whites are patrol cars with the more traditional police car profile while the others are frequently used for traffic and pursuit.

We actually changed ours the other way, from white with a awful stripe to traditional black and white.

You may be overthinking this, more likely than not, someone just wanted a change.

Call the bigwigs in charge and ask what prompted the change.

Source(s): Me; Cop
  • Mandy

Wow...I most definitely agree with you. Also, what if an officer in a newer crown vic approached someone without his sirens off and that person mistook the officer for a person who was trying to cause harm to them. It could get ugly quickly...especially with all of the stories from the past about psycho creeps posing as police officers.

Also, LOL to Chrys who says it's what they can afford...does she not realize how much of our tax dollars go into funding the police department...I'm sure that the newer cars are more up-to-date with technology meaning it's more expensive than the previous cars...Chrys, I'm sure money wasn't even a factor.

I agree with you. But are you sure the old version of the cop cars are all gone? They just might be like ghost cars..

very true I have thought of this several times. It seems it is more important for them to sneakily catch you doing something bad then help you out when you need it.

• Chrys

my opinion is you must have something better to do than question police depts about their choice of car colors...sometimes its what the POLICE can AFFORD and the car companies GIVE THEM..sometimes it's cause they just want a change...

Don't you change your clothes on occasion ???

maybe you just like to start arguments...call the police and start one with THEM...

yeah i agree with you they should go back to the old colors