Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 1 decade ago

im smart but cant afford college! parents say NO!?

im kinda freaking out because im a senior in high school, and recently my family is doing poorly financially, my parents never married and i live with my mom with no siblings and she makes like 85,000 a year and my dad like 20,000 but he cant help me. my mom sucks at money managing and says by the end of the month paying all her bills she is in debt, we live in southern ca which is really expensive and we r struggling. she already has a second mortgage and has to pay over 3000 a month. im a great student 4.4 gpa 2220 on sat's, sports, asb everything but i cant get any financial aid or scholarships, white male is a bad combo, also i cant take out loans, bad credit and mom no collateral. what do i do!!! my parents didnt save for college and now im screwed. i want to go to schools like USC or UCLA but usc is 50,000 a year and ucla like 30, with expenses. plus i dont have a car yet and i have all ap classes and cant work, no time. my parents say state school and working through school, but i want to be a doctor, state is not good enough or have the programs i need! help pls! running out of time! i cant even afford application costs but colleges dont care, all they see is my parents make over 100,000 a year but they dont understand that number is closer to 0 with expenses! im soo scared! im staying in Ca too! btw sorry for the atrocious grammar, im just a little panicked!

Favorite Answer

First of all: take a deep breath. It'll be okay.

Second: it is time to re-examine your options. Being a good student like yourself, and being in the financial situation you described, there are always more options than you're seeing. However, they might require you looking into different schools.

But, before we get into that, let's discuss some more loan options. Recently, the loan market has been pretty bad. There was some legislation passed through Congress about a year ago that made it harder for loan companies to stay open. Combined with the current economy, many shut down. But this doesn't mean that there are no options out there.

I take out all my loans by myself with a co-signer. The interest rate is terrible, but I manage to pay my way through a $50,000/year school. So the loans do exist, you just have to look hard for them and be willing to take a hit.

My experience of not having a co-signer on my loans, though, is pretty unique. If your mom can't co-sign the loans with her credit, ask other family members if they would be willing to help. Grandparents, aunts and uncles...go to everybody. You may not come up with anybody willing or able to co-sign, but if you can find someone your rates will be much lower.

I, personally, got my non-co-signed loans with practically no credit, by the way, so I know that there is someone out there who should be able to give you money. Look through the basic people first: Sallie Mae, privatestudentloans.com, etc.

The next thing to consider is to think about applying to different schools. There are lots of schools out there that are need-blind. That's how I manage to pay for college. These schools do their best to meet 100% of expressed-need as is determined by filling out the FAFSA and PROFILE. They also don't look at your expressed-need before determining whether or not to accept your admission.

These schools tend to be pretty selective, but for somebody with your standing you should be fine. Look at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Amherst, Middlebury, MIT, and Williams College. Even partially-need blind schools may work. You can find a list of them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need-blind#Need-sensi...

Good luck!

Source(s): Choosing a college, paying for college, and wikipedia.
  • #7

1. Lots of white males get federal and state grants and student loans. Many scholarships are based solely on academics.

2. Do you mean to say that you haven't even finished high school and YOU have bad credit? or your mom?

3. Arizona State and Michigan State send graduates on to medical schools (personal knowledge); why can't Cal State?

4. Med schools are unlikely to care where you get your first two years of introductory level courses. Check out your local community college. They're much cheaper, the classes are smaller, and the instructors are often as good as those at the universities. Many of the instructors probably teach at nearby universities as well, and some of them will be MAs pursuing their doctorates at nearby universities.

5. If not now, then after finishing high school, see if you can get a job in a hospital...doing anything. Hospitals have been known to help employees with medical studies... mentoring and such. Or get certified as a paramedic, or in medical billing or as a physician's assistant, or something similar that will pay better than most jobs that students work their way through school with. That way you'll have a job in the medical field before you even start at the university. AND you can take yourself off your parents' income taxes, so their incomes and credit won't affect your financial aid eligibility.

Good Luck

Just go to a community college first, they arent as bad as everyone thinks, they are pretty good in fact and they have a different way of teaching, do well there and you may be able to go somewhere even better than ucla or usc. I went to a UC, graduated, didnt like my degree, so now Im going to a community college to go into a different area and go to a better college. I actually like the cc, its more hands on, but I still loved the UC lifestyle too, but if you dont have money, there is nothing wrong with the cc, they are just as fun, and you will meet some great people.

First of all it's not because your a white male it's because your parents make enough money that you don't qualify for help. And your Mother has made poor financial decisions effecting their credit

Secondly, you will be fine going to state you can still become a Doctor. Many Dr.'s started off at community college.

Talk about this with your counselor, perhaps they can help.

If you don't want to join the military or can't get any scholarships, you could always work a job for a year or two and then go to college. There's no law that says you must start college right after high school.

ROTC is a great way to go if you can handle it. If not, try a job and community college (or on-line college) for the first two years of credits. By the end of that you'll have a good credit rating to borrow the money for the next two years. Good luck.

Honestly Join the military, you go in an sign for the GI Bill, and then your college is paid for. You will have t osacrifice your civilain life for a bit, but your schooling will be paid for, and you can go to college online while in the military. Army or Marines, Iwould say are the best...

financial aid, with those grades you can get alot of scholarship money. I mean wow. I too wanted to get to BIG U but didnt have the money so now i am in community college. maybe consider doing that, put in a semester and make straight a's. but really with those grades you can find the money you need

Well you could enroll in the military as a doctor and not only will they teach you but you will get hands on training and give you a sign on bonus and and help pay your tuition towards college.

Doesnt hurt to ask your guidance counselor about this option or others you can take.

Source(s): Good luck.

If you have really good grades etc try applying to foreign universities, they might be more accepting. Im at uni in Scotland and i know people with scolarships here, worth a shot if you are desperate