Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 1 decade ago

im smart but cant afford college! parents say NO!?

im kinda freaking out because im a senior in high school, and recently my family is doing poorly financially, my parents never married and i live with my mom with no siblings and she makes like 85,000 a year and my dad like 20,000 but he cant help me. my mom sucks at money managing and says by the end of the month paying all her bills she is in debt, we live in southern ca which is really expensive and we r struggling. she already has a second mortgage and has to pay over 3000 a month. im a great student 4.4 gpa 2220 on sat's, sports, asb everything but i cant get any financial aid or scholarships, white male is a bad combo, also i cant take out loans, bad credit and mom no collateral. what do i do!!! my parents didnt save for college and now im screwed. i want to go to schools like USC or UCLA but usc is 50,000 a year and ucla like 30, with expenses. plus i dont have a car yet and i have all ap classes and cant work, no time. my parents say state school and working through school, but i want to be a doctor, state is not good enough or have the programs i need! help pls! running out of time! i cant even afford application costs but colleges dont care, all they see is my parents make over 100,000 a year but they dont understand that number is closer to 0 with expenses! im soo scared! im staying in Ca too! btw sorry for the atrocious grammar, im just a little panicked!

Favorite Answer

Dude Between the 2 of them ur upper-middle class, when it comes to money, but anyway your screwed unless you get a scholarship for something, your grades are phenomenal, and you score excellent on your SAT's, idk dude tell your parents that they make plenty of money.

1. Lots of white males get federal and state grants and student loans. Many scholarships are based solely on academics. 2. Do you mean to say that you haven't even finished high school and YOU have bad credit? or your mom? 3. Arizona State and Michigan State send graduates on to medical schools (personal knowledge); why can't Cal State? 4. Med schools are unlikely to care where you get your first two years of introductory level courses. Check out your local community college. They're much cheaper, the classes are smaller, and the instructors are often as good as those at the universities. Many of the instructors probably teach at nearby universities as well, and some of them will be MAs pursuing their doctorates at nearby universities. 5. If not now, then after finishing high school, see if you can get a job in a hospital...doing anything. Hospitals have been known to help employees with medical studies... mentoring and such. Or get certified as a paramedic, or in medical billing or as a physician's assistant, or something similar that will pay better than most jobs that students work their way through school with. That way you'll have a job in the medical field before you even start at the university. AND you can take yourself off your parents' income taxes, so their incomes and credit won't affect your financial aid eligibility. Good Luck

the only thing you can do is take out student loans. and it doesnt really matter what college you go to. because most of them teach the same thing. unless your going to say pharmacy school or anything special as so. the only thing a college cares about is that it gets your money. and i dont see how you dont have any scholarships because your an above average student. scholarships should be no problem for you. you just have to apply for them. they dont just hand them out to everybody you have to apply for them. go to the website below and you'll be getting money in no time. :-)

Why don't you try Harvard, I don't know if they have your major, but i have heard that you only pay 10% of what your parent make and in that case you would pay $10,000. Since you have such good grades maybe you will get a scholarship to your top school/s. I would apply early before its too late.