Haloengel asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain? Which one would you take to form a team around and to be a leader?

Bill Russell, a defensive phenom.

Wilt Chamberlain, an offensive beast.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • MyKill
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Bill Russell: 5MVP's,11 rings

Wilt Chamberlain: 4MVP's, 2 rings (and only one against Russell, during Russell's rookie year as playercoach)

Russ is better than Wilt.

First, in 1972, when Wilt submerged himself into a Russell-like role - low scoring, outlet rebounding and defensively focused game - in the Lakers, under the guidance of Bill Sharman, Russell's former Celtic teammate, his team went on a 33 game winning streak with a 69-12 season record, enroute to the championship. In retrospect, Russell's unflashy style of play is more effective in bringing in the hardware than Wilt's.

Second, despite of Wilt's impressive talents, the man is a PAIN to work with. Russ has a much better attitude and despite of his aloof manner in public and private life, he exudes a sense of camarederie whenever he steps into the court or inside the locker room.

Some of Wilt negative attributes which could be traced to his primadonna personality includes:

- disrespecting and criticizing his coaches publicly (eg. Neil Johnston, Alex Hannum, Dolph Schayes, and of course Bill Van Breda Kolff all had bad memories working with Wilt.)

- demanding a high salary (eg. One third of the Warriors gate receipts goes to Wilt's salary but Wilt doesnt even want to do publicity gigs to boost ticket sales)

- complains like a baby to the media (eg. threatening to quit but not carrying it out in Look magazine)

- rarely practice and travels with his teammates (eg. Wilt had had feuds with Baylor and Hal Greer).

If i was an NBA coach in real life, i would dread the idea of bringing Wilt Chamberlain on my team. Hell, Alex Hannum had to challenge Wilt in a fight just to get his respect. Ask yourself what kind of a basketball player would push his coach to such lengths just to earn the player's respect. Its not worth it having him on the team unless his talents are programmed in an android devoid of his personality.

Source(s): Cut and pasted from previous post: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200809...
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wilt Chamberlain

The Best Player Ever

Because

Russell Is Just A Little Bit Better In Defense

But Wilt Chamberlain Is WAAY BETTER In Offense

Like This:

Offense

Wilt>>>>>Russell

Defense

Wilt<Russell

• 1 decade ago

Wilt Chamberlain

• Mount
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Wilt Chamberlain

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Both are great players, but i would go with Bill Russell. A better team player. but Wilt is one of the best of all time. I am old enough and fortunate enough to have seen them both play, Mostly Wilt cause russell retired around 68, and wilt played several years after that.

• Joel B
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Bill Russel a better team player. Wilt was so selfish then learned later on that basketball is not just about scoring..he averaged almost 40 pts per game in his first 7 yrs and some 24 rebs a game and still a loser.

i would take Wilt if he would only take 20 shots a game in his prime. we all know he is the best rebounder all time. he holds almost all the record in rebounding.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's all about the D. I would take Russell. When he was on the Celtics, nobody could even try to drive inside. But the biggest reason why I would take Russell. He's a winner. Russell won 11 NBA championships. Chamberlain won 2.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wilt, his offense really shadow the way he can defend, too. He recorded two quadriple double in the finals (although it wasn't on the record books, but look at wikipedia). Bill Russell had a sh!t load of talent around him, also.

• 1 decade ago

Russell. Chamberlain was too selfish and stats conscious. Russell really made his teammates a lot better.

The championships back that up.

• 1 decade ago

Bill Russell

Defense wins championships (as demonstrated by the Celtics last season)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.