WHAT WOULD I NEED TO LIVE IN THE ALASKAN WILD?

How would i do this, and where do u think i should stay

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Trish
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First, read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandles...

In case you're bored before you reach the end, here is the last paragraph:

[begin quote]

Alaskan Park Ranger Peter Christian wrote: “I am exposed continually to what I will call the ‘McCandless Phenomenon.’ People, nearly always young men, come to Alaska to challenge themselves against an unforgiving wilderness landscape where convenience of access and possibility of rescue are practically nonexistent […] When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn’t even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he [had] had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament […] Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide.”[18]

[end quote]

The most important thing is not to become another Chris McCandless, just another punk kid who tells himself he is doing something great when he is being a damn fool.

What is great about the wilderness is that it proves that you are small. If you truly respect its greatness and accept your smallness, you will not be in a hurry for this adventure. You will take it in small pieces, so that when you take a big step into the wild, it will be a natural progression from weekend camping to survival courses to wilderness life. It will not even seem like an adventure anymore, just a way of life.

If that takes all the fun out of it for you, well, don't do it at all.

• 1 decade ago

A large caliber rifle, plenty of ammo. A tent, a metal trash can. A metal canteen cup for boiling water. A few knives, lots of rope, a couple of sleeping bags, some empty soda cans washed out (for alarm system) a flint rock. A rubber boat. Some plastic bags (keeps clothes dry) Some form of shelter! lantern, books on the plantlife (so you know what you can and can not eat) And some kindlin, and a shovel, It would be a great idea if you carried a LOT of toilet paper too (friendly advise) A map, compass, and pencil. The best place to stay is as close to people or a river as you can get. Many fisherman travel the rivers, so you can be discovered if something were to go wrong.

• 1 decade ago

Just as the person above said You need to read a lot of books, such as Into the Wilderness, then you need to go to a small town in AK (take plenty of cash) and try to find some longterm residents who will help show you the ropes her are a few links that will set you on your way

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/

http://www.practicalsports.com/expedition-tents-4-...

http://beprepared.com/search.asp?t=c&c=920&sap=tru...

http://first-aid-product.com//

Happy Trails

• 1 decade ago

Start off living from the land in N. California for two years and then move north three hundred miles a year. If you make it to Canada get back with us.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Years and years of experience. You need to read a lot of books, such as Into the Wilderness, then you need to go to a small town in AK (take plenty of cash) and try to find some longterm residents who will help show you the ropes.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've lived in Alaska 30+ years. If you have to ask you won't make it. You need a cabin and extensive survival skills and knowledge. You can't pick up a Cabel's catalog and buy yourself into a bush survivor. You probably don't even know what I mean when I say bush.

• 1 decade ago

you should stay in a log cabin, you will also need al powerful rifle with a good scope (nightvision) to hunt, your body will need lots af fat to keep warm, do not eat just animals, you could get seriously sick, you will need to find out something else, an ax to take down some trees for fire, fire to cook and melt down some snow, also to keep warm, salt to treat the skin of animals so you can wear it or use it for carrying stuff, and so on.

• Wayner
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Read "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer.

• 1 decade ago

If this is something you really want to do. Get a job there and move up.

After you move there and spend enough time camping and hunting and gaining local experience your question will resolve itself.

Source(s): I spent two years in different parts of Alaska and I can tell you that most of the year man is not able to survive long without good equipment and lots of experience in the wild.
  • 1 decade ago

a bow, 10 broad-head arrows, 25 blunt arrows, a sleeping bag, a hatchet, a backpack, some meat and bread to start of with, salt to keep the meat fresh, heavy clothing, etc, i wouldn't be asking yahoo answers, i would ask someone who has experience

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.