Would adding more RAM speed up my computer?

I have a Dell Optiplex 210L with the following:

2.80Ghz Intel Pentium 4

16 Kilobyte primary memory cache

1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

80GB hard drive

Bus Clock 800 megahz

I only have 512 MB of Ram at this time.

Would adding two 1GB Ram to upgrade to a 2GB RAM offer any advantage?

I use it mostly just for internet.

Update:

Operating system is Windows XP Professional.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Yes adding ram would speed up your computer, 512mb of ram is not a lot, i think microsoft recommend at least a gig of ram 1024mb. However most laptop and pc's out their have 2048mb of ram.

Aside from adding RAM, other ways of speeding up your computer is to continually free up some space in your hard disk. Uninstall and remove unused programs as they eat up space you can use for something else. Clear your internet cache of temporary files and offline content every so often.

a good article on this is http://ezinearticles.com/?Can-RAM-Speed-Up-My-Comp...

512 MB of Ram is not much for windows xp but it should do if you don't run too many programs in the background.

Your video card's driver probably needs to be updated. Go to the manufacturer's web site and download their most recent driver for the card.

Check the version of your direct X driver and if needed update to version 9.0

Compaq computers usually have the model # on the front panel of the Tower. Check again .

The memory that you found for your game in Add remove programs is the amount of storage space it is occupying in your hard drive. and does not refer to the Ram memory which is a totally different memory type.

Remove any unused games or programs from the hard drive

Clean your temporary files and cookies. Use programs to clean the system such as Ccleaner (free).

Defrag your hard drive if needed. don't forget to update the driver for your video card and any other devices such as your sound card. Running a computer with outdated drivers can slow down the performance of the system.

3 months ago

Source(s): think i saw some courses on installing ram on this site http://www.learningsteps.com
  • 4 years ago

I usually recommend 2gb of ram where possible as a minimum to people, depending on how you use the system the performance gain will be different, if you often work with a lot of programs open or with large files or play games then yes 2gb will help a lot if you work with only small programs/files then no it wont make much difference. Remember windows eats between 500-700 mb including your drivers and other junk so you'll only have about 300mb free with 1gb typically after booting adding 1gb increases this to about 1300 mb free which = less swap file usage which means a much more responsive pc. The other consideration is if your pc supports dual channel memory and you only currently have a single 1gb stick then a 2nd 1gb stick will effectively double your memory capacity and bandwidth which will give you a decent performance gain with memory intensive applications. What others are saying is correct if you run a 32 bit version of windows there is little point in adding more than 4gb of memory as it will only recognise the first ~3gb (depends on graphics card and other hardware) So in conclusion if you like a lot of things open or use your computer for anything remotely memory intensive then go with the 2gb or if your noticing the hdd is working non stop this could help

• 1 decade ago

probably yes, to make sure you need more memory, get into your task manager, you can do that by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc, then go to performance tab. Now the number in the Total under the commit charge must be significantly lower than the number in the Total under the Physical memory. they probably wouldnt be since you only have 512 MB. so yeah go for the upgrade!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Download the system scanner from www.crucial.com and scan your system. It will tell you how much RAM your motherboard supports. If you have the capacity for more, it very well could help speed up the system. If you don't though, it won't do anything. P4 motherboards range between 1 and 2 gig limits, so it's hard to say without knowing your mobo manufacturer. Like I said though, that scan will tell you what you need to know.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yeah adding more RAM could make improvement to the speed usually a computer slows with age and the amount of stuff you have stored on it so adding more RAM and maybe clearing out thestuff you don't need might help

• 1 decade ago

mmm

actually first you will have to check that does your motherboard support that much of ram...

and upgrading the ram only wont help you...

u also need to increase your harddrive....when u are surfing on internet some kilobytes are being downloaded everysecond and they start filling your harddrive space... u shud also cleanup your diskup every week... that will help u a bit.....

and if your comp. is about 3-4 years old then i dont think that your motherboard will support 1gb of ram...

if your motherboard supports it then i'll suggest u that u buy a ram of 1gb and a harddrive of about 120gb.... that will surely help u in increasing your speed...

• AJ
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I think that you would notice a huge difference in the speed of your computer and RAM is cheap at the moment

AJ

• 1 decade ago

yes adding more RAM increase ur system performance, but u cant able to find the speed while running small application.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

2.80ghz wont rise to 3.0ghz or more but adding ram would enable u to multi task but 1 gb is enough i think unless u use it for gaming and use complex softwares

• 1 decade ago

2GB ram is more appropriate, because youre using it in internet browsing.

but 1 GB is also alright.

the higher the ram is the faster you can access websites, load videos, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.