Night terrors...help?

I'm watching my nephew who apparently gets night terrors (and I'm still not completely clear what a night terror is), which I found out last night. It scared the crap out of me, because he was yelling in his sleep and pushing something away that wasn't there, once I did manage to wake him up he just kept telling me he wanted to go to sleep, and eventually he did, what do I do if he gets one again, and what exactly is a night terror anyways? Isn't it just a nightmare? Do people who get them remember them in the morning?

Favorite Answer

Diet is responsible for 90% of night terrors. No sugar or processed foods after 6pm, make sure he takes his vitamins in the morning and not at night.

Night terrors are very scary to watch. My 10 year old gets them occassionaly..He will be crying and moaning and actually speak a languange that I can not understand..He will look right at me and not see me....He will walk from room to room....HE WILL NOT REMEMBER ANY OF THIS THE NEXT DAY..I spoke with the Dr about it and de said that the only thing that you can do is try not to restrain them...try to just calm them down by speaking gently..and most importantly since they do walk..you have to make sure they don't leave the house....If they become frequent there should be some kind of lock on the door that the person can't reach...You don't want them to go outside in the middle of the night alone......But believe me, as you know, they are so upsetting to watch......

A night terror isn't really a nightmare, it's more of a sudden feeling of fear. It is a terrible experience, especially for a child. If he does get one again, calm him down and make sure that he is content and unafraid before he goes back to sleep. A lot of people who get night terrors don't remember, but some do.

My kids had night terrors when they were young and it is very hard to go thru that stage with them. Read this article http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sleep/terrors...

which will give you an overview of them.

The best thing to do is not to wake him but make sure that he is somewhere where he cannot physically hurt himself. If he gets tangled in his covers, then loosen them as gently as you can. If he is under pillows or stuffed animals, remove them gently. If he is in a crib, make sure he's not hitting himself against the bars. Just keep him safe and wait it out. He will fall back asleep and probably not remember it in the morning. YOU on the otherhand will be shaken and may have a hard time falling back to sleep. Just be assured that it happens and nothing is wrong with him because of this.

Don't worry and just be there for him.

good luck!

Source(s): kidshealth.org

I have seen people have these and they usually don't remember it when they wake up. A night terror is a nightmare gone way to far. People usually don't realize what they are doing when they do it. When my cousin had these, the only thing that could calm her down was the Wiggles website. You should give him something familiar like a bear, blanket, or certain movie and that should do the trick. Good luck.

Source(s): Personal experience

A "night terror" could simply be a nightmare or an imaginary creature. I say to talk to him about his fears, and try to calm him as best as you can.

Talk to his parents/guardians about this matter also, and work together on a solution for his fears. It is normal for young kids to be afraid of things in the dark, but you should try your best to assure him.

Playing games, singing songs, reading stories (not scary ones!), and other fun activities could also distract him from these "night terrors." Also, if he is more worn out, he is less likely to have nightmares. So be active during the day!

Good luck.

A night terror, also known as pavor nocturnus, is a parasomnia disorder characterized by extreme terror and a temporary inability to regain full consciousness. The subject wakes abruptly from slow-wave sleep, with waking usually accompanied by gasping, moaning, or screaming. It is often impossible to fully awaken the person, and after the episode the subject normally settles back to sleep without waking. A night terror can rarely be recalled by the subject. They typically occur during non-rapid eye movement sleep.

• ไฟ

This might help you. One of the most common sleep disorders is insomnia. Such things as noise, light, temperature, stress, nasal, congestion, allergies, indigestion,pain, worrying, and the snoring of a sleep of a sleep partner.ar factors that contribute to insomnia, which affects about 58 percent of America who have it. In narcolepsy, another sleep disorders, a person has sudden and irresistible"sleep attacks" that last about fifteen minutes. Sleep paralysis sometimes accompanies narcoleptic episodes. Apnea is a dangerous sleep disorders in which the air passages are obstructed, causing cessation of breathing as often as ten times an hour or more.This dangerous disorder can lead to high blood pressure, heart attack and sleep walking-occur during sleeping. Three other sleep disorder are sleep terror and bed wetting. This are common among children maybe related to immaturity of the nervous system.

My daughter had these. She would cry and sit straight up. Very freaky looking. Her eyes would be fixed and would not respond to any of our questions. We would just lay her back down and she would go back to sleep. In the morn. I would ask her about it and she didn't ever remember any of it, not ever the dream.

They are like nightmares only the child appears to be awake but isn't fully aware. It's like sleepwalking. A nightmare you wake up from and become rational and remember.

He' will be alright just keep him in bed and ease him back to sleep if he does it again. Sing to him or talk softly and reassuringly. In the morn. he won't even remember it.

• SW

People remember nightmares. People do NOT remember night terrors.