discharge, odor! doctor cant figure it out!!?

I have been having some vaginal problems recently and have had no luck with my gyno. Fist, he suspected chlamydia or gonnorhea and so I was put on antibiotics. After finishing the dose, the test results came back negative for both. I was still having the same symptoms (burning, itching, discharge & odor) so my doc said it must be BV (bacterial vaginosis). This time I was prescribed a cream and took the dose. My symptoms remained. I went back to my doctor AGAIN and he now says it is a yeast infection and has given me a different cream, yet again.

However, I do not feel it is a yeast infection. I do not have that thick, clumpy, white discharge and I DO have an odor, which is not characteristic of a yeast infection. When I mentioned this to my doc following his yeast infection diagnosis, he said there is no odor and he would have noticed if there was. But there is! I swear, there is an abnormal, quite yucky, odor. So what the heck is this?

I was thinking back to a few weeks ago when I had a scare involving a lost tampon. I thought I lost one, but decided the same day that it was all in my head. Now, I'm rethinking that. Maybe the symptoms are from a lost tampon? I can't find one if there is one. Would my gyno have seen it in there when he examined me if it was there? Or is it possible to not be visible?? Lately my only symptom is a discharge with a yucky odor!!

Please, any answers would be greatly appreciated!!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Ok, sounds like a bacterial infection to me. I know you said you already took the cream medicine for it...but sometimes that just doesn't take care of it. You need an oral cycle of Flagyl or Clendomycin(not sure how that's spelled.). Those are the only 2 medications that work for this and they are pretty strong stuff. The cream is Flagyl, but like I said sometimes doesn't do it. I deal with these every single month after my period. Hate it. It does have an odor and you do have burning/itching and discharge. Sometimes antibiotics can give you a yeast infection and you said you were treated for this also. I say first off go see a different doctor. Get a 2nd opinion. I once thought I'd lost a tampon too with this type of symptoms..come to find out after visiting my doctor several different times for reoccurring BV, I had E-Coli there...odd I know, but that's what it was. It smelled so bad that I thought I had lost a tampon. When the doctor examines you they will definitely see if you have a tampon..so I imagine that's not the problem. See a different doc or keep going back to this one and insist that you know your body and you know something is wrong. They can do a culture right there in the office and see if it's BV...then he/she can prescribe you oral antibiotics. Flagyl is the stronger of the 2, but it makes me very sick so I take the other...but try the Flagyl and see if that works. If not, then insist on some other types of tests. Cultures should reveal anything going on there. Good luck. I feel your pain.

Add: Also, while you have these symptoms..DO NOT use tampons. I wouldn't have sex either. BV is caused by an imbalance down there and any foreign objects will set it off and make it worse. I get them from sex also, even if we both poured alcohol on our junk to make it as clean as possible(which I am not being serious about the alcohol, metaphorically) I would still get one. No cure for it either.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I suggest seeing another GYN; clearly there is a problem and if all of your current doc's diagnoses haven't resolved the problem then it's time to seek advise elsewhere.

Ask a friend, co-worker, or relative about to recommend their GYN. And don't be afraid to do some research on your own; i.e. WebMD.com.

When was your last pap smear test? Did it come back normal? I would request blood work just be on the safe side; to be assured that no other medical issues are at hand.

• 1 decade ago

Discharge with a yucky odor can be very normal and something you might have to accept. If you had lost a tampon, the gynecologist would have noticed because of the odor. It's would be horrible.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

its bacterial vangosis take folic acid3 times a day and douche with peroxide and water once a day.. go to earth clinic click on aliments then on bacterial vagnosis those supplements are the cure for it this a natural remedy site just check this site out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would try going to a different doctor.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

sounds like a bacterial infection to me. i lost a tampon once and i really thought it must have fell out at the water park. 2 days later when i went to pee and i felt something. then the tampon came out.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why dont u just go to a womens health clinic and ask for an STD test includeing HIV.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

id say try a different doctor!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A classic case of "it must suck to be you", maybe that's the problem, too much suck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.