Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Can someone recommend me books/movies about WWII?

Hello. I'm very interested in WWII (no, I'm not happy that it happened, but I like to read about it) and I'm looking for informative books and/or movies (documentaries) that are about the happenings in WWII or just has general information about WWII. I'm not looking for novels or something, just books with information and interesting stuff.

Favorite Answer

Stay away from movies. Though they TRY to be realistic, they still resort to "the bottom line"= the pathology of profit.

Books are more realistic, though one must remember that history is written by the victors and prosecuting attorneys.

Read many, many, many books on any history, and you will find differences---therein lies the FUN of history! Researching the truth of others truth!

Eventually, you will find certain readings (and styles of writing) more appealing to you. SO I recommend ALL the books you can get your hands on! Start with small ones, see your fancy, then work to more larger and more specific books.

WWII is a blast! I have been to both The Philippines AND Germany and seeing the relics and places are the MOST wonderful way to spark your interest.

Source(s): I have a history minor. I have a history minor, and WWII is my focus Remember, when you study history, always, always, always focus on !!!!Wealth and Rescources!!!!! to pivot your answers...because that is what history pivots on.
  • Apogee

Band of Brothers book or movie was excellent.

Try

Battle of the Bulge

The Longest Day

A Bridge Too Far

If you want a real feel for the era watch movies made in the era not just about the period: like Mrs Miniver

To Hell and Back Audie Murphy

Steel Wave Jeff Shaara

AUdie Murphy earned the COngressional and only wrote the book after his buddies forced him to. It is factual and a good read.

Steel Wave is faction based on the War from Ike's point of view.