John asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Do republicans care about protecting our environment?

• MS
    Favorite Answer

Actually, the first REAL ENVIRONMENTAL PRESIDENT (no, not Teddy Roosevelt...though he did do great things with National Parks while he was murdering bears and rhinos and so forth....) of the modern era was.....

Wait for it.....

Richard NIXON.

Yes, I was surprised, too.

It was Tricky Dick who signed the EARTH DAY legislation, who established the EPA, who got the whole SUPERFUND Cleanup of toxic sites underway.

He also signed the ENDANGERED SPECIES ACT in 1969. He signed legislation to protect marine mammals, to enhance coastal zone management, to expand the national park system, and a whole load of other legislative actions to benefit the environment. He did more than any other President, really.

Richard Nixon cared about the environment...a LOT. Either that, or he cared about reelection and knew how to play to the crowd.

Regardless, he had a damned good environmental record. It's a pity he wasn't as caring and concerned when it came to domestic politics, I guess.

Triva--he DIED on EARTH DAY in 1994.......!!!

I care, but I guess some people don't care because they don't actually see it happening. And they're all too lazy to do anything about it. They all figure that if enough people change, then they don't have to. Plus, whenever the topic comes up, it's always the republicans who say that it's not really happening or that it's just the natural process. Too bad those uneducated shmucks don't see that even though it is a natural process, we are speeding it up by burning too many green house gases. I remember being a little kid and I know that the summers were a little cooler and the winters were cold. Now each summer gets up over 100 degrees and even this last winter averaged at 85. THE PLANET IS GETTING WARMER. I for one won't be sheltering any of those ******* who get left out to bake while I took the necessary precautions. People don't even realize that something as simple as changing a light bulb to an energy efficient one will make a huge difference. But like I said before, they're lazy.

Yes. We like everyone else, have been programed over the last 40 years to care and protect the environment.

The Democrats dont protect our environment. They just pretend to. I think both parties have had the luxury of not being serious about this issue.

Now, 48% of americans voted McCainally, but the person above me calls them evil. I dont think half of america is evil. We should not tolerate that stuff.

• T S

No, when we go fishing, we want the fish full of mercury, we like to swim in toxic water, and when we hunt we just blast anything that moves.

We dont buy the global warming scam, so that means we dont care about the environment? Maybe you can put up the link to the study that proves the Earth is warming beyond normal limits and that it is caused by man.

• Jon

I'm not sure where people got the idea that only the Dem's care about the environment

Yes we do.

We just won't be sold false science whos main purpose is to bring big money in grants to research scientists.

A good friend of mine is a university research scientist, and he told me 75% of his time is spent hunting grants.

When I was a kid "Global Cooling" was going to freeze us all to death.

Then in the 80's it was "Acid Rain" that would burn off our skin if we were caught out in a rain storm.

Next came "Global Warming" Florida is supposed to be under water now.

And now it's "Climate Change" because the earth is not warming anymore.

Scientists are all looking for the next "Headline Scare" to push so they can keep working and put food on the table...

They say they do, but obviously it's not a priority for them.

Bush's administration has been disastrous to the environment. Not only has he refused to protect the environment, but he has implemented policies to prevent states from doing so.

I do. Although global warming has been used for commercial purposes unfairly.

• DAR

Sure, but we don't think government should be involved. And certainly Federal government shouldn't.