How do I make toffee apples ?

My mother used to make them and I am sure there must be a recipe somewhere out there.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Toffee Apples.

6-8 small red or green apples

225g/8oz sugar

2-3 tbsp cold water

pinch of cream of tartar

wooden ice lolly sticks

Wash and dry the apples and put them to one side. Insert the ice lolly stick.

To make the toffee, place the sugar in a small saucepan and add the water. Put the pan over a low heat and stir the mixture until the sugar has completely dissolved. Now add the cream of tartar - this helps to prevent the sugar from crystallizing - and bring the mixture to the boil. Turn the temperature down and simmer gently for approximately 10 minutes until the liquid turns golden brown.

Remove the pan from the heat and allow the bubbles to subside. Quickly dip the apples into the toffee and leave them to cool on greaseproof paper or on a kitchen surface that has been rubbed with a little oil.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ingredients

For the toffee coating

225g demerara sugar

110ml water

0.5 tsp vinegar

2 tbsp golden syrup

25g Butter

For the apples

6 dessert apples

6 wooden skewers, for holding the apples – ice lolly sticks will do.

Method

1. Dissolve the sugar in the water over a moderate heat. When it has dissolved, stir in the vinegar, syrup and butter. Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until it reaches hard-crack stage (138C) or hardens into a ball when dropped in a jug of cold water. This should take around 10 minutes boiling time.

2. While the syrup is cooking, pierce each apple with a wooden stick. Once the toffee is ready, dip each apple into the hot toffee, turning it around in the syrup so that each one is fully coated.

3. Leave to harden on a lightly oiled tray before serving. If you're planning to keep them for a day or two, wrap the apples in cellophane.

TIPS:

To make the toffee stick, put the apples in the fridge for a couple of hours. Works wonders.

Use only high-quality butter, not margarine.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.