Spiritually speaking, how infallible is Human Logic?

I heard an interesting talk today given by an astrophysicist professor from Athens.

One of his points was "Science is based ultimately on human logic. How we perceive the universe, what methods we use to explain what is around us, how things work etc. But, since human logic is far from perfect, flawed even, how can we know that we are explaining what we see and measure correctly? Humans have a tendancy to marry logic with desire."

He posed this question to us, and I am repeating it (translating very badly from Greek).

He also said that 'perfect logic is Love.'

Don't know his religious tendancies, but he also involved religion as 'perception of flawed logic' as well.

Is it just me, or does this make more sense in Greek? :)

Oh well, I tried to give you the gist of it.

Happy Funtime: I should have said that! Good point.

Ode to the Damned: No, the do 'illogical things' out of lust. If our motive is love wouldn't this world be a better place?

Agape. That's the Greek word. You are right. It's vastly different from Eros (romantic love)

• Ramjet
    Favorite Answer

LOL at first I thought it said "inflated".... ;)

seriously - I've always thought that peeps who rely totally on logic to determine the mechanics of the world around them are living in a fairly small box.

I trust the scientist who readily admits that logic simply isn't enough to explain the great vastness of this universe.

psh. let the chips fall where they may - I have a great BIG God....

((((((starjumper))))))

Interesting quote and "logic" ... but then, if human logic is fallible, then so is this Greek astrophysicist!!!

Sorry, but I have to disagree with him. Logic is not infallible, BUT you can draw ILLOGICAL (or impossible) conclusions even using logic. But the basic logical process itself is not infallible.

The professor may be attempting to bring God into the process, but hey, despite so many people's opinions to the contrary, God IS LOGICAL, and is also subject to logic, too. There are things which God CANNOT do because they are LOGICALLY and in REALITY impossible to do. You cannot have a 4-sided TRIANGLE, or a MARRIED bachelor. Just because you can string words together does not create the possibility that that "thing" can exist.

God cannot lie. God cannot deny Himself.... there ARE things which are impossible for even God to do. It's not possible for YOU to deny your own existence, right? So how can God be able to do that and you cannot? God also cannot make 2+2=5, just as YOU cannot make 2+2=5.

The only time when "human" logic is fallible is when infallible enters into a logical equation. Just as, in math, when you multiply ANY NEGATIVE number by any POSITIVE number it yields a NEGATIVE number... when you place FALSE and TRUE into a logical equation, it yields FALSE... T∧F≡F (arithmetical logic).

In the Christian realm, we have the Scriptures which state that "A little leaven leavens the whole lump." In other words, introduce just a small amount of falsehood, and the entire argument becomes false.

So, spiritually speaking, human logic is not by itself infallible until fallacy is introduced into the equation.

Have a blessed day.

• Mawm

Human logic is flawed from the get go. Logic is based on what we know or think we know. A baby will see a ball disappear under a couch and to the child it's gone. Adults will watch a news program and believe they understand a topic and actually argue as truth the bias media's view as if they really know what has gone on behind closed doors. We constantly judge people's motives in spite of being told by God not judge.

Human application of logic is fallible. Logic itself, however, is a construct used to connect ideas. I don't see logic as being either fallible or infallible. It just is. I agree that human perception will always admit of uncertainty. We are, after all, finite beings. But acknowledging this does not free me from logic. The law of non-contradiction is an epistemic necessity. Ultimately the power of logic is in its assertion that a proposition cannot be both true and false in the same way at the same time. Abandoning logic is abandoning reason.

That being said, logic alone is not enough. Not all significant truths can be formulated in terms of logic. "I love you", is an example. It is either true or false, but logic cannot determine which.

peace

• Religion IS a science. It is a tool that when used properly can help man to better live his life.

It is when religion is taken out of the scientific realm and put into a Dogmatic Structure that it becomes dangerous (akin to an A-bomb).

Religion should be handled carefully and respectfully, it should be approached with a since of wonder and excitement and also hold up to many tests and hypothesis.

Most importantly Religion should make you and you alone be able to lay down in bed at night and say "Yes the world does make since."

Logic is a result of Evolution, which is itself flawed. Evolution is True, so don't think I'm arguing some idiotic antievolutionary stance... but Evolution will never change our legs to Wheels, though we might be able to move faster. Evolution always works with previous evolutionary steps, building on. This is why our memory is not perfect. We are not computers. Our minds, and our human logic, perhaps our best attribute, evolved out of thousands of long dead necessities, and survival.

'perfect logic is Love.'

The trouble is that love in English means so many things to so many people, I'm sure it's not as precise as the Greek word.

As for human logic being fallible, yes it can only process what ever information is available (like a computer in that way). But that's why hypotheses are tested continuously, and put out for peer review, so one person's fallible logic doesn't go uncontested.

He's right.

First, you have the problem of epistemological agnosticism. Hume demonstrated that you can never have absolute knowledge about what you know. Ultimately you have to make an assumption that what you perceive as reality is actually real.

Second, logic is a method of manipulating information. If you study formal logic, the first thing you learn is that utterly false statements can be entirely valid according to the established laws of formal logic. The conclusions you draw from the application of logic depend on your presuppositions. And, as described in the first point, our presuppositions are ultimately nothing more than unprovable assumptions that we make about reality.

• "perfect logic is Love"

That doesn't make any sense. People will often act illogical because of love.

[edit:] I never said that because something is illogical that it is bad. For example, if someone was about to get run over by a train, the logical thing would be to stand back and let that person be run over. If you loved that person, however, you would probably save their life at the cost of yours.

The natural world is what it is. How we describe it may be incorrect at times, but there is a truth and many times we can find it. Love is another question.