Guitar Solos: Extremely self-indulgent or a perfect outlet to display musicianship?

I know people on both sides of the argument. Some find them to be too self-indulgent and meaningless, but I am most definitely on the other end of the argument. I think they are one of the best parts to any song and perfectly show the mind and creativity of a musician. You?

• Leech
    Favorite Answer

guitar solos not only make albums transition from EP length to full-fledged LP length, but definitely showcase musical ability

sure, it seems that beginning in the 80's, solos were stock-in-trade, but after the trend of the 90's grunge movement basically doing away with solos, we now totally appreciate their presence in a song

they prove that guitarists can use all four fingers, and demonstrate just why guitars have more than 12 frets

yeah im totally with u man, guitar solos are great for a song... and they show the true writing ability of someone, to write a solo and they show the talent of the guitar player... I also think they piece a song perfectly together to make it complete... heck im love long guitar solos too, i love just jamming out to those and occasionally air guitaring too.

Source(s): Frequent music listener

it depends

i think that you can often tell from the way the solo is written whether or not a person poured his heart and soul into the solo itself or just wanted to show how many notes he could play as quickly as possible...the ones i enjoy, since my musical background is in classic rock, are the solos like david gilmour's in comfortably numb, both of which are probably the most soulful and emotional solos ever written...however, i dislike bands like dragonforce and others who clearly just wanna show how many notes they can get off in a short time span...to me, that's not music, it's noise, self-indulgence doesn't even play a role because they're just not even creating real music anyway

If you call having fun "self-indulgent" then yes I guess solos could be then. For people that are fans of Killer Lead Guitarists and who love guitar solos they are the idle candidate for those people.

For people that B-- itch about lead guitar players being "Self- Indulgent" when they play guitar solos they need to listen to something else and shut the F*ck up and stop B*itching about it. I know guitar players that do solos just to practice guitar masturbation and absorb praise and I know guitar players that shred for themselves and to bring a good display of shred to people that are fans of that kind of thing

simple as that

• S>T<W

I think a solo is definitely a display of musicianship. I can't think of any bands or any songs that have solos just to have solos. I think solos add alot of fury and alot of speed to songs, and then they can add somber or epic feelings as well.

Good question...

They can be both. I just hate when there are guitar solos in every other song.

It depends.

Some guitarists do these extremely long and annoying and complex solos, just to brag and showoff. While others use them to express more emotion than the song itself, or to add more character to the song.

in my personal opinion, i think that mindlessly blistering solos that express no emotion are an utter disgrace to everything that is music. a guitar solo should follow the music while expressing emotion and creativity of the performer. in some cases, you may wish to just wow the audience with an obliteration of speed and virtuosity, but in most cases i see it as more impressive to truly show others your creativity and musical intellectuality.

it depends on who it is

people like Ted Nugent - self indulgent

any msucian that has skill like speed metal stuff from Becker to Vai- perfect outlet

• seiber

i did it at present went to the mall and there became this shop that bought all forms of imported chocolate so i offered many distinctive ones, great scrumptious hummm yummy... identifying to purchase is excellent too and get carry of a good rub down.