promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Have you even heard of Barackisms or even Obamanyms before?

First there was "Obamamania," punctured in places by naysayers crying "Nobama!"

Now, as president-elect Barack Obama prepares for the White House, his message of change, resounding both at home and abroad, seems to have unleashed a barrage of Barackisms. Or maybe they should be called Obamanyms. Here's a glossary, culled from websites, news reports and the blogosphere:

OBAMAPHORIA: The postelection rapture that swept over Obama's supporters worldwide.

OBAMANATION: A twist on "abomination," expressed by evangelicals and other conservatives who oppose Obama's stance on abortion, gay marriage and other social issues.

OBAMARAMA: The celebrations around the Jan. 20, 2009, inauguration.

OBAMANOS: A play on "Vamonos," or "Let's go," among Obama fans in Mexico.

OBAMATOPIA: The political paradise that Obama's staunchest supporters hope he'll usher in.

OBAMALUJAH: Exultation shouted by his fans.

OBAMATRONS: The policy wonks who will occupy the West Wing of his White House.

OBAMASCOPE: Media scrutiny of the new leader. (Example: "One hundred days after Barack Obama took office, newspaper editors put the president's economic plan under the Obamascope.")

OBAMANATOR: Hollywood-inspired nickname for the new president - even if he's got what California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger contends are "skinny legs" and "scrawny little arms."

OBAMALICIOUS: Complimentary term used by those who like Obama's looks.

OBAMALOHA: Goodbye, Obama-style, with a nod to Hawaii, his birthplace.

OH-BAMA: Joyful exclamation, via headlines in the Kennebec, Maine, Journal, The Regisister Guard in Eugene, Ore., and The Namibian, from the southern African country of Namibia.

BAMELOT: Description of his presidency, from a New York Post headline that played on the youth and freshness of John F. Kennedy's administration that came to be known as "Camelot."

OBAMERIKA: Headline from the Croatian newspaper Slobodna Dalmacija.

BARACKSTAR: Description from those who believe Obama is "the Mick Jagger of politics" (from Slate.com).

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Shaula
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The 'Obamanator' makes sense. I have already read rumblings to the possibility, in an act of bipartisanship, The Govenator is a possible candidate for the Secretary of Defense, but the comment that come from Awnold's Sacramento office states 'I will not work for no girlie boy'.

One term was left off the list...BARACKISH, which will be defined by most of the legislation passed during his term in office, as well as his foreign policy.

Source(s): term: brackish, meaning salty or 'mixed with seawater' or distasteful; unpalatable
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

a million. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts club Band, The Beatles 2. puppy Sounds, The coastline Boys 3. Revolver, The Beatles 4. street sixty one Revisited, Bob Dylan 5. Rubber Soul, The Beatles 6. what's happening, Marvin Gaye 7. Exile on considerable highway, The Rolling Stones 8. London Calling, The conflict 9. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan 10. The Beatles ("The White Album"), The Beatles 11. The solar classes, Elvis Presley 12. form of Blue, Miles Davis 13. Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground 14. Abbey street, The Beatles 15. Are You experienced?, The Jimi Hendrix journey sixteen. Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan 17. Nevermind, Nirvana 18. Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen 19. Astral Weeks, Van Morrison 20. secret, Michael Jackson 21. Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon 22. Innervisions, Stevie ask your self 23. stay on the Apollo (1963), James Brown 24. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac 25. the upward push and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, David Bowie they are all i could think of of, atm. yet, i think of it extremely is a enormously stable decision. :] typical: Abbey street, probable. typical song: Jesus little ones of u . s . of america.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have heard a few of these but many I haven't. Please......don't put these in the dictionary. Too many accolades for one man. Hasn't this gone far enough? I'll wait to buy another dictionary. It was just recently that Yahoo accepted his name as a spelling word that was correct.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I' ve heard "Obamelet" because some restaurant in Houston was happy he won the election and they named an omelet dish after him.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • A good compilation, at that!

• 1 decade ago

i have now...ive also peed my pants ...thanks heaps....seamanab x

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.