what are my options for a micro-perforate hymen?

Ok, well here it goes: I'm an 18 year old virgin who has recently decided to become more intimate with my boyfriend of 4 years.

My only problem is that I have a micro-perforate hymen. We've tried to have sex [protected, mind you] about 10 times, and nothing. I've checked myself after each time that I thought it broke it, and NOTHING, although I've experienced some discomfort with the initial "thrusting," not to be crude and have only bled very little the first time we tried.

I'm growing rather frustrated with this, as we've waited until we were both mature enough to be responsible with the decision [I've begun the birth control pill ortho tri-cyclen and we've used a condom each time as a secure back up]

I'm aware of a procedure to remove a portion of my abnormally sturdy hymen, but am curious as to the cost and the recovery time.

If anyone can give me any sort of advice, I would GREATLY appreciate the help!

Ok, Dr. Wong. OWWW.

• Dr. K
    Favorite Answer

First off:

The hymen is an area of tissue that represents the opening to the vagina. The hymenal tissue is a ring-like form of tissue which has a hole within the center, present at birth.

A micro-perforate hymen is essentially an imperforate hymen with a very small hole within it. The hole may be large enough for mucus and/or blood to come through the hymeneal opening, but instead of having a regular menstrual period lasting four to seven days, the woman may have a period which lasts longer due to the fact that the blood cannot come out at a normal rate.

A micro-perforate hymen may resolve spontaneously and the opening may get larger as a child becomes older; alternatively if a young woman who has a micro-perforate hymen attempts to insert a tampon she may have pain or the inability to insert the tampon. If she attempts to have sexual intercourse, she may have pain and the excess hymeneal tissue may tear. A surgical approach can be undertaken to resect the excess hymeneal tissue.

The procedure is referred to as a hymenectomy (the removal of the hymen using surgical techniques)

Recovery time is just a few days and discomfort is minimal.

Before you decide to take the surgical option:

Try different types of lube and mainly relax. With ample lube try using different objects to penetrate yourself with. You may find during frequent masturbation you may tear the hymen on your own.

Jokes about your Boyfriend being too small aside, you can try using a dildo, and tearing it yourself.