Quizzle asked in SportsTennis · 1 decade ago

Who will be player of the year? Men and Women?

Feel free to add who you think will be

"Most Improved"

"Best Newcomer"

"Comeback Player"

Etc...

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Nice question here are my picks

1-Player of the year Male: Clearly Rafael Nadal He has won 8 titles including 2 majors (French and Wimbledon) 3 masters series events( Monte Carlo, Hamburg, Toronto) The olympic gold medal plus two other events of note in Queens and Barcelona.

Nadal has also been very consistent in events which he hasn't won like SF at Aus open, Us open Sf at masters series Indian wells,Cincinnati, Madrid, was a losing finalist at Chennai, and Masters series Miami.

He has had only 2 early exits all year 1 against Seppi at Rotterdam and the other against Ferrero at Rome masters when he had a blister on his foot.

So he wins as he has clearly been the standout player on ATP

2-Player of the Year Female: Venus Williams In the Ladies its a tough call but After Venus's win today i give it to her, she won Wimbledon, and the year end championship had some other results and doubles success however no body stood out, Jankovic will end the year as world no 1 but she didn't win a major so she isn't the player of the year in my book.

3- In Doubles Bob and Mike Bryan win it among men

4-Ladies Doubles Cara Black & Liezel Hubber among ladies(i would have given it to the Williams sisters if they played more often)

5- Most Improved Player Jo Willy Tsonga: This was a break through year for Jo Willy Tsonga, where he made a serious impact on the tennis world. With His run to the Australian open final punishing Nadal and Murray on the way. His 2 titles including the masters series he won in Paris, he scored some big wins over top players Djokovic twice, Nadal Murray Nalbandian, u name them.He also won tons of fans and i always give him bonus points for his resemblance with Ali.

Plus all in all he demonstrated huge potential, in my opinion he is just like Safin, similar type of player with huge potential, big serve and forehand power from baseline, moves well for a big guy and has great touch on his volleys drop shots, for a guy who was really struggling in 2007 he has really come of age this year.

6- Best new comer(male) Juan Martin Del Potro, i give it to JMDP who played some inspired tennis in winning 4 back 2 back titles, reached the QF of US open and made huge impact by his impressive Davis cup debut.

7-Best New comer (female) Caroline Wozniacki,who captured 3 titles won more than 50 matches including some really good wins over top 10 players Kuznetsova, etc. She also demonstrated a lot of upside potential. She also won a ton of fans (just ask James Blake for President)

8-Come Back of the year: Elena Dementieva, I go with Elena cause at the end of 2007 it appeared as if she is fading fast. She dropped out of top 10, but this year she has been an elite player, she had solid results throughout the year, won the Olympic gold + 2 other titles, reached the SF of 2 majors and the WTA tour championships and had some good wins over the top players.

• 1 decade ago

Player of the year: Nadal and Jankovic

Most improved: Murray, I know he's quite a good player for a long time but he gets angry really easy but after he is able to manage his anger, I think he's really improved

Best Newcomer: I bet on Del Potro, very outstanding!!!

• 4 years ago

You're right. The love-em-and-leave-em guys are players, not just pursuing a woman.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.