What did John Lennon mean by "The CIA invented LSD to control people ...?

... and what they did was give us freedom." ? Control what people and control them for what purpose ? What are they doing developing mind control drugs in the first place ? ------------- PLAYBOY: Do you use any drugs now? LENNON: Not really. If somebody gives me a joint, I might smoke it, but I don't go... show more ... and what they did was give us freedom." ?

Control what people and control them for what purpose ? What are they doing developing mind control drugs in the first place ?

-------------

PLAYBOY: Do you use any drugs now?
LENNON: Not really. If somebody gives me a joint, I might smoke it, but I don't go after it.

PLAYBOY: Acid?
LENNON: Not in years. A little mushroom or peyote is not beyond my scope, you know, maybe twice a year or something. You don't hear about it anymore, but people are still visiting the cosmos. We must always remember to thank the CIA and the Army for LSD. That's what people forget. Everything is the opposite of what it is, isn't it, Harry? So get out the bottle, boy -- and relax. They invented LSD to control people and what they did was give us freedom. Sometimes it works in mysterious ways its wonders to perform. If you look in the Government reports on acid, the ones who jumped out the window or killed themselves because of it, I think even with Art Linkletter's daughter, it happened to her years later. So, let's face it, she wasn't really on acid when she jumped out the window. And I've never met anybody who's had a flashback on acid. I've never had a flashback in my life and I took millions of trips in the Sixties.

1980 Playboy Interview
With John Lennon And Yoko Ono
http://www.john-lennon.com/playboyinterv...