Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesNissan · 1 decade ago

Code P1130 - Swirl Control Valve problems for my '04 Nissan Sentra?

Hi,

The service engine light went on in my car (2004 Nissan Sentra -66,000 miles) a few months ago and I took my car to my local mechanic and he tested for codes and it showed the code P1130: Swirl Control Valve. He told me to keep driving it and erased the code from the car and told me if it turns on again I should go back to him. A few days ago it turned on again. Does any body know what this code means and how I could fix it or should i take it back to my mechanic- who said it will cost a lot of money to fix. What is wrong with the car and what could I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

2004 Nissan Sentra has 2 engines 1.8 and 2.5 SER. But both of don’t have P1130 But I think you may have P1132, P1137 or P1138. Because SWIRL valve only has 3 cods. What shows that your swirl valve would be the most possible problem but I would still check with your mechanic. Nissan part price would be between $80 to $120 but still check with mechanic because he has to fix it

Swirl Control Valve

I, too, have an '04 Sentra and the check engine light would come on, stay on for a week or so and then go out--only to recur a week or so later.

My car had a code 1138. Took it to the Nissan dealer's service dept. They told me that the Swirl Control Valve was bad and that replacing it required replacing the intake manifold, as it is integrated into the manifold. The good news was that it was covered under either the Emission Controls Warranty or the Powertrain Warranty, which is longer than the 3yrs/36K general warranty. The Swirl Control Valve is an emission control part, but, since it is integrated into the intake manifold, I don't know which warranty they covered it under.

If you call Nissan USA headquarters, they will tell you if the warranty is still in effect at 66K miles or not--and I'm sure they could tell you which warranty, if either, applies.

Hope you're still covered, as it isn't a cheap repair.

Providing it is the same code I know your car is a 1.8 liter. (P1130 does not exist). P1132 Vari swl con/ SV bank 1 or P1137 SWL CON / POSI Sensor And P1138 Swl Cont Valve codes. Swirl valve works with the variable timing of the intake valves to smooth out engine performance Those Codes above each take into account the solenoid that turns on the vacuum and the micro switch that sees the valve operate and the variable pressure reading when the swirl valve operates. That gray plug inside the black box (ECM) bolted under the windshield wipers on the passengers side is the pressure sensor for the swirl valve. Check those wires for breakage at the plug. Most common cause anyway. If you get a chance to go to a Auto-Parts store that can read the code also ask if you can write down the freeze frame data. Get back to me with the correct code number.

Source(s): Nissan Master Technician

On my truck...the swirl control valve was a sensor inside the air filter duct. Now with that said...I was told (don't know how true it is) that I was lucky becuase there are two. The other is part of the emmissions system which is expensive. I would start with taking a look around the air filter duct.