I'm looking for ideas for a group camp in Yellowstone National Park.?

Next summer I want to camp in Yellowstone to celebrate my 70th birthday. I will invite all my close friends and family to join me, but I know many cannot do this.

I'd like to hear (from people who have done group camping there) about all the things the National Park Service pages doesn't tell me - things that I should know about group camping in Yellowstone.

What surprises did you encounter? What hidden expenses are there? Are the facilities adequate in large group campgrounds . . . .

OK, no one is answering about large group camping. So, anyone been basic camping and able to inform me on that aspect?

Favorite Answer

Well Happy Birthday (early!). I've been camping in the park for 18 years. We usually camp at Canyon Village but I think for a group you should go to Grant Village or Bridge Bay. They are laid out in a better way for groups. I don't think any of the campgrounds in the park offer "group" campsites. If you don't mind primitive then Indian Creek is nice too but is first come first served.

Only certain campgrounds offer services. All campsites are primitive with no hookups except for Fishing Bridge and you can only camp with big RVs there. Some campgrounds have dump stations, but not all of them. I know Fishing Bridge, Grant Village and Canyon do. The following are the ones that have showers (pay showers. Runs about $3.00 a shower) and laundry:

Fishing Bridge (has General Store with small diner and limited groceries, small visitor's center.)

Canyon Village (has General Store with diner, groceries, coffee bar. Also dining room and cafeteria and US post office and cabins. Very large and AWESOME visitor's center).

Grant Village (General Store with fast food, very limited groceries, gas station, steak house (kind of cool, right on the lake), visitor's center, and marina).

You can make advance reservations at the following campgrounds. Be sure to do it ASAP! You will need at least 6 months advance to get what you want. Limit is 30 days before July 1st and 14 days after. When you call be sure and tell them how many sites you want and that you need them all together. They will also ask for size of camper/truck.

Madison (no services)

Canyon Village

Fishing Bridge

Bridge Bay (no services)

Grant Village (Opens in Mid-July depending on bear activity)

Mammoth (no services)

If Cabins are more your thing you can reserve them at the same place (Xanterra). They are at Canyon Village, Mammoth, Old Faithful, Roosevelt and Lake. They are all very primitive but at least have a bed and shower. No cooking at any of them.

And of course there are the hotels but I don't know much about them. They are just too expensive for us.

If you want a really nice birthday dinner then you should all go to the Lake Hotel dining room. Very good munchies! Will run about $40 a person. When you make camping/hotel reservations ask for the dining room res. then too. They book about 2 months ahead. Well worth it!

Have a great time and I hope this helps. You are welcome to come on over to our YahooGroup and ask any questions you might have. We are all addicted to the park :)

And don't forget that you can get the Senior Passport to the national parks! A one time $10 charge and you get into all National Parks and Monuments for free. Plus you get 50% off camping and more.

You are exactly right Billy Bobby: Of the 5 or 6 million people who go to Yellowstone every year nearly all of them are eaten by bears and everyone is pissed on by something. They don't tell anyone because no one would go anymore and the bears would get hungry. Then the bears would start hunting for food closer and closer to the city. Oh my God, it's a bad science fiction movie. The Parks Service would not allow camping if there was a significant risk. If there was an area where people were regularly being dragged out of their tents and off into the night by wild animals. That area would probably be designated a "No Camping" zone for many miles in every direction, don't you think. If wolves were coming by to piss on campers not many people would be staying a second night. It's more likely it's a poodle from the R.V. camped 2 sites over. The odds of being hurt and needing medical attention is higher in the city than in the woods. The odds of being hit by lightening are much higher than death by wild animal.