How do I train my horse to pivot for showmanship?

I was trying to teach my horse to pivot by pushing his head and taping him with the lead rope on the sholder, and there were a few times I taped him harder. There were a few people at my barn glaring at me from a distance, obviously because they think i'm beating the horse. Everybody i've seen train a horse to... show more I was trying to teach my horse to pivot by pushing his head and taping him with the lead rope on the sholder, and there were a few times I taped him harder. There were a few people at my barn glaring at me from a distance, obviously because they think i'm beating the horse. Everybody i've seen train a horse to pivot (at the shows) hits the crap out him/her. Well, I don't want to beat my horse. But at the same time I want to be firm. He is very subborn. Any ideas what the best method is to teach a horse to do a hind pivot? I'll have to train at night when nobody is watching. They didn't say anything to me, but the way they were looking at me was in disapointment. I feel like telling them to go some of the local training barns and see what "beating" looks like. Thanks !
7 answers 7