Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

is leukemia inherited?

my son's grandmother recently died of leukemia, should i have him checked regurlarly for this?

Favorite Answer

What type of leukemia was it?

Generally, the consensus is that leukemia is NOT heritable, but there is some research going on to see if it is or not. For example, in my family... My great aunt is cml, I am aml, and I had an infant cousin die with aml. That is interesting because infants usually get a different type called all. There are studies on families who have had several occurances, but they usually say it is due to environmental factors. For example, my family grew up in Chemical Valley, WV (thats not the name of a town, its a nick name for a region that has something like 20 different chemical plants). The over all occurance of all types of leukemia is actually relativly high in that area, and a lot of docs would say the occurances in my family were from growing up in the same area.

You should also be aware that smoking can cause leukemia. Even with where I grew up, I (and my docs tend to, but ofcourse they cant pin point a reason) I blame my leukemia on smoking. A direct link to my type of leukemia is benzene exposure. And, benzene is a chemical in cig smoke. My family smoked around me for as long as I can remember, and I started smoking at 13. I was diagnosed twice, at 21 and 23. I have been smoke free for a lil over a year.

So, after all that narrative, my advice to you is to find out which specific type she had, and research what the experts say about the causes of that type.

• zary

Is Leukemia Inherited

Hello. My 2 year old daughter has ALL Leukemia. Her is not inherited. Most of them are not. They say it is a higher chance of getting it if you have different disabilities in your family such as down syndrome. If you dont want to go through all the trouble of getting blood tests done, then you could just ask the docs to check your sons hemoglobin, which is a simple poke on the finger, and you know within minutes. When you have leukemia your hemoglobin is one of the most important signs, so if its under about 10-ish i would say to have them do a CBC blood test. Good Luck!

Source(s): my daughter

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

is leukemia inherited?

Source(s): leukemia inherited: https://tr.im/yRMXe