Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 decade ago

How can i research my family online for free?

I want to research my family and make a family tree for free so could you please give me some links

Favorite Answer

Do a search on the web, everyone has a cousin that they haven't seen in years who has done some of the research already. in a search engine type in

(your last name)+genealogy

you can also try

(your last name)+family

Good Luck

If you want to make your family tree, you will not get very far for free. Your first step should be quite obvious - get as far as living memory will allow you - which involves speaking to your parents, your aunts, uncles and grandparents and finding out as much about your immediate family and names and dates as you can. See where the different members of your family agree on names, dates and places, and see where they disagree. Someone might have the old tin of photos your granddad kept with his WW2 ration card or other old letters and pieces of paper, or better yet, an old family bible. Sooner or later of course, living memory will fail you - probably before you even get as far back as 1901 and could make the best use of what online resources are free, because quite simply, you will at some point need to buy a birth, marriage or death certificate simply in order to get back another generation. Just because you happen across a tree online, doesn't make it true. Whose to say that the original researcher was doing his research right in the first place. It is very easy to go down completely the wrong tracks in this game, and nothing should be taken for granted as fact unless you have the records in your hand that say it is so. My tree goes back to the 1500s on one line. If anyone asks me to prove it, I can hand over all the birth, baptism, marriage, death, burial and census records that say it is so, plus several wills and other documents. These things don't come free. You will have to pay at some point. If you don't happen across a fellow cousin or great aunt doing your tree by then and up online at Genes Reunited, then your tree will come to a juddering halt very very quickly.

A family tree can take years to compile. It can also cost a small fortune. Don't enter into the hobby lightly. And if anyone says you can do it for free, then they are lying or else riding on the coat-tails of someone elses research and have never tried doing any of the work for themselves. The words "free" and "genealogy" are two words that should just never go together in the same sentence. Ever.

The above 2 posters gave you great answers.

I think the word is out that a person can search their family tree online, for free. Too many people think that what they find in subscriber submitted family trees is accurate or it wouldn't be on the websites. That is not true. The family trees are not submitted by some expert working for the websites but by folks like you and me. There are errors. You will frequently see different info on the same people from different subscribers. Then you will see repeatedly the same info on the same people from different subscribers, BUT that is no proof at all it is correct. A lot of people copy without verifying.

The information frequently can be useful as CLUES as to where to get the documentation.

Rootsweb and FamilySearch.org are two good free sites. However, I think the best for the amount of records online is Ancestry.Com. It isn't free but your public library might have a subscription to it you can use for free. They have all the U.S. censuses through 1930. The 1940 and later are not available to the public yet.

They have U.K. censuses through 1901. They have immigration, land, military and other records. They have indexes to vital records(birth,marriage and death) of most U.S. states.

They have transcribed the records but you can view the original images. There are errors in their transcription, particularly censuses but when you see the original you can have pity on the transcribers. Handwritings can be difficult to read and some pages are very faint. However, no way are all records online.

You should check out the genealogy area of your public library, anyway, to find out what all they have.

Another good free source is a Family History Center at a Latter Day Saints(Mormon) Church.

They have records on people all over the world, not just Mormons. In Salt Lake City, they have the world's largest genealogical collection. Their FHCs can order microfilm for you to view at a nominal fee.

I have never had them to try and convert me or send their missionaries by to ring my doorbell. I haven't heard of them doing that to anyone else that has used their resources. They are just very nice and helpful. Just call the nearest Mormon Church or visit their free website, FamilySearch.org to get their hours for the general public.

http://www.cyndislist.com/

this is my personal favorite collection of genealogy sites. There is a section for just beginners.

Just a heads up...

genealogy is based in documents that provide info (birth certificates being one example). All information about your history is NOT all online, nor will it all be free.

Think RECORDS first.. then ways to get the records/info. Online is just part of the process.