Why was I always cranky and irritable when I was vegan?

I was vegan for about a month until I stopped for reasons disclosed, but for the whole month I was always cranky! It was ridiculous. Why could this be? Possibly all the extra soy I was eating was messing with my hormones?

Favorite Answer

I agree with your hypothesis, Thrailer's and I can add one of my own. Often when we switch to eating a vegan diet, we greatly sacrifice convenience. It's a lot harder to come by prepared meals. It almost always means more time in the kitchen unless someone has come up with an answer to that (which I would LOVE to hear). As a consequence, at least with me, I've noticed I tend to bypass eating altogether for as long as I can until it's so painful I can't stand it. I don't know if you were doing that, but if you were, you might have been hungry or deprived of nutrients. For me, as much as I want to be vegan, this is the part of it I keep having the major problems with -- what to make, how long it takes to make it, coming by the ingredients, etc.

Yes, the added soy, if you were eating enough of it, might have been a factor and I completely agree with the withdrawal thing.

Also, please understand that some of the answers you have here are predicated on a bias against a vegan diet. I've heard it too many times not to know it when I see it. Nobody here knows exactly what you were eating and I'd kind of let go of any idea that says you were lacking enough of EVERYTHING because you were eating a vegan diet.

Excess soy has been known to be bad for some women (increases estrogen,) but more important is how you started your Veganism. If you start slowly transitioning yourself into the lifestyle, all should be fine. Give yourself about a month to slowly wane your body from over-processed/ rich foods. To go "cold turkey" would send your body into shock and/or hibernation mode. The body might recognize this abstinence as starvation. Along with that shock your body could have unfavorable side effects (Headaches, diarrhea, nausea, mood swings, etc.) Make sure when you make significant changes to your diet, you allow your body enough time to adjust. Think of it as a smoker trying to quit. Give yourself a little less everyday until you feel comfortable going without it.

Above all, make sure you're taking a good multi and other supplements to help you throughout the transition. I recommend Green Tea and Echinacea, as your immune system might be thrown by the changes.

Take care, hon, and I hope all goes well for ya :)

Source(s): I'm re-transitioning Semi-vegetarian. :)

Were you eating a balanced diet? If you were eating mostly refined carbs and fruits, you would feel cranky, sleepy, and grouchy. I know how you feel. I tried a raw food diet which is supposed to be one of the healthiest diets out there. Gaining 5 pounds and being miserable, I quit. Turns out I was living on fruit and bread. Not a balanced diet at all. It is actually easy to get enough protien from non-meat food, as long as you eat a variety of healthy foods. If you want to be vegan, do some research on what nutrients the body needs and then see which plant based foods in your area supplies them. Good luck.

Perhaps you were consuming too many processed foods and junk like caffeinated beverages. Chemicals can make anyone cranky. As a raw vegan, (for three years) I find my mood and disposition to be much improved.

It was simply withdrawal symptons.

It's like not having coffee or smokes or drugs.

Headaches, aggitated. You know?

lacking vitamin B

Malnourished. You didn't get enough protein, calories, carbs and fat to function at 100%.

probably because you were malnourished