Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesScion · 1 decade ago

Is the TRD supercharger worth getting (Scion tC)?

I'm wanting to get a new Scion tC for my new car. I've considered the supercharger but I've been hearing that its a waste of money, because it causes so many problems? What sorts of problems specifically?Would it be better to just get the car stock and then put in a different supercharger or turbo myself? Do you have any personal experiences with this? In the long run, which would be better? Which will have less problems? And is it worth getting? All help with be appreciated, but serious comments only please. Don't reply if you're going to be a smartass or if you don't know what you're talking about. Thanks in advance.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

superchargers for the tc have a history of blowing engines, as well as malfunctioning. some superchargers that were put on tcs didn't even last past 15,000 miles which is a waste. the thing is, the superchargers have more history of blowing engines more than turbo's do. oh, and there is only the trd supercharger out for the tc currently. as far as i know, there are no plans on any other company producing a supercharger for the tc. the problem with the current supercharge is the design, it shouldn't have been the snail shaped one but rather a roots design.

1) yes, it'd be better to get the car and then turbo it yourself

2) for the money, you will get more hp and torque from a turbocharger than the trd supercharger. you only gain about 40 hp from the supercharger...and you're spending a lot for that minimal amount of hp gain

3) when doing forced induction onto ANY engine that comes stock n/a, it puts added strain on the engine and as a result the engine will die sooner than if you didn't put a turbo or supercharger on it.

4) in the long run, as long as you take care and maintain the car properly it should last you for a long time (until the engine goes out). both have their own set of problems. turbo's are more finnicky and as such require more maintenance (such as changing the oil more often, checking oil temp level before hard driving, check water levels, etc) but in the end, both will have problems if you don't maintain the car properly. there are less things to worry about though with the supercharger, simply because it isn't as complex as the turbo.

if you have the money to get it, then go for it. but you must keep in mind that if this is your daily driver and something goes wrong, you could be in trouble. turbo's are defintely more fun to drive around since you don't get a gradual "push you back in your seat" feeling like the supercharger gives you.

check out the link i sent you, and read up about turbos vs superchargers. but before installing, you should know stuff about turbo's so you are prepared just in case something happens. understanding how and why turbo's work helps greatly.

oh, and if you go turbo i would suggest the turbotoyotas stage 1 kit. at 10 psi you'll be putting out about 300+ hp (depending on the tune you get) so you'll be able to run around with sti's and evo's =] (2nd link)

and one more thing, do NOT (if you get a turbo) set the psi ABOVE 10 psi. do NOT. if you do, you will blow your engine (or at least the pistons...which is not good.) the tc's engine can handle up to 350 hp on stock internals which means that it can handle up to that amount without having to have anything done to the engine itself. but, it can only handle a certain amount of pressure. the 05-06 tc's are more turbo friendly since the compression ratio is lower (meaning it can handle more boost.) the newer models aren't so much. you can raise the boost up higher safely after you do some engine work...but usually working on the actual engine is one of the most expensive mods that you can do.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is the TRD supercharger worth getting (Scion tC)?

I'm wanting to get a new Scion tC for my new car. I've considered the supercharger but I've been hearing that its a waste of money, because it causes so many problems? What sorts of problems specifically?Would it be better to just get the car stock and then put in a different supercharger or turbo...

Source(s): trd supercharger worth scion tc: https://tr.im/6VDlc
  • 3 years ago

Trd Supercharger

• zabel
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Scion Tc Supercharger

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Don't waste your money on the TRD supercharger. Its poorly designed and unreliable.

I had an 05 tC SC that had both of the common problems with the supercharger.

- SC #1. The pulley side bracket broke after about 15k miles and they replaced the entire supercharger because Toyota only sells complete kits.

- SC #2. It was replaced with the redesigned version with much larger brackets for the compressor and pulley and I was told that it was much better than the original one. In my case my better meant it lasted a whole 10k miles before the compressor side bracket broke which caused the bearings to sieze up. Then what was left of the inside of the supercharger ended up inside my engine all in a matter of about a mile. Warranty covered the supercharger but not the engine even though there were bits of metal all over in the intake hose and throttle body.

The original supercharger's were built by Vortech (with some Toyota packaging help). Vortech makes good stuff and has lots of experience with superchargers which makes this whole thing somewhat odd. The problem lies in putting the pulley on the end of a 2' long shaft causing a lot of stress on the brackets and bearings. Thanks Toyota for doing such a poor packaging job.

Currently the broken ones are rebuilt by Magnussian but that does nothing for the original design problem.

Put the same money into a quality turbocharger which will make more power and last more than 15k miles before it breaks.

Source(s): Owned a 05 Scion tC SC
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if you want to keep your warranty and you absolutely want a supercharger, you really don't have a choice but to get the TRD one. we have done about a dozen TRD superchargers here at my dealer, and i don't see it being worth the money for the power that you get. it's not alot. and everytime we do these, people complain that the car vibrates. well yeah it's going to vibrate.

Source(s): Toyota Technician
  • 1 decade ago

Emiller makes a point but consider this: If you don't go with the TRD supercharger and opt for boost, you WILL void your warranty. Unless you are past the warranty period, stick with TRD. It may be a bit costly but to save your warranty, stick with TRD.

• 1 decade ago

forget the supercharger and get a greddy turbo for about the same price and more horsepower and stuff.

• 1 decade ago

Wouldn't it be better to get a car that's reasonably quick right off the showroom floor rather than buying some piece of junk and then trying to upgrade it?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.