Shortcuts won't work on desktop. Says create assoc. in folder option control panel.what happ? New ones bad to?

I must share my computer with my son. He is supposed to ask before he downloads anything and often he doesn't ask. He downloaded a music program for his ipod and then deleted it and I think just generally messed up.

My shortcuts on the desktop now don't work. It says "This program does not have a file associated with it for preforming this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel. What happened and how do I repair this? When I try to make new short cuts they don't work either.

Thanks a million.

Gwen

Favorite Answer

Before you start search your system for possible virus infections, try to perform a System Restore. Choose a day or two before that issue with the message occurs and get your system back there.

If you have problems to do that correctly, take advice here: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B30... (supposed you run Windows XP).

Hope this helps (if not, the problem is more serious)

Steve