i need some answers on air traffic controllers?

answer these questions:

what are some advantages and disadvanteges?

how much is pay??hourly??

how would you characterize this career?

what are your predictions for the furutre of this career?

are qualified workers needed in this field?where is greatest needed?

what is potential income for this career>what is the typical salary range??

what is a typical day/week for this job?

what do you like most about your job?

if your were a person to hire someone,what kind of person would you hire?what skills would they need to become this job?

how did you get this career?what was your career path?

what advice would you give to someone applying for this job?

what education/training is required? (detailed please)

do you like your job?

what are some typical mistakes people make on this job daily?

(this is for a school project people so please be detailed!!) :)

• Kevin
    Favorite Answer

First, Dave I disagree. I get mode C readouts on everyone squawking 1200, I can see them I know about them and I call traffic on them. I'd bet what you saw are unasociated tracks, aircraft out of that controllers sector. Besides I have a moral obligation to issue traffic to the VFR aircraft in my airspace who request flight following. Computers are great until something fails, like 2 months ago at ZLC when one of two flight plan procesing computers failed and the ZTL computer struggled to keep up. TCAS is great too, but if you've ever seen an airliner RA when nobody is within 40 miles of them, you start to learn it too has flaws. I'm curious as to if you were at an ARTCC or TRACON. LRRs tend to not pick up primary targets like ASRs, but if you're squawking altitude you'll get picked up regardless of code.

To answer the question. The pay is between 33,000 to 104,000 per year depending on experience and how busy your facility is. I would say working in ATC is definately a unique lifestyle that forges close bonds between coworkers. The whole thing is a team effort. The future is solid and the demand for new workers is night as most controllers hired after the PATCO strike are now retiring. Most ATC facilities are 24/7 which means a typical week would probably involve working weekends, nights, days and even midnights. Definately not a typical 9-5 gig. Personally I love solving sometimes complex problems on the fly and the adrenaline that goes with it. An ideal controller is someone who is relaxed, has excellent spatial awareness, can process large amounts of information rapidly and has a good memory. Personally I went to college and majored in air traffic control, but other ways to get in are through the military or apply to a public hiring announcement. I do love what I do. Typical mistakes are when passing an airplane to another controller, accidentally issuing the wrong radio frequency or calling an airplane by the wrong callsign.

My predictions for the future of this career are gloomy. The mission of air traffic control is NOT to keep all the airplanes safe. The mission is to separate participating IFR traffic. (See the FAA website if you doubt this). Voice commands given to pilots is a very poor way of achieving this goal, it would make a lot more sense to do it all with computers so that each pilot knows where he can and cannot go safely.

The technique in use today creates the illusion of crowded skies, costs a fortune to run, and is prone to industrial action such as strikes. In the future, the system will most likely be automated and there will be no need for air traffic controllers.

A typical mistake made by air traffic controllers every day is to turn off all aircraft squawking 1200. They all deny this vigorously, but you can visit any ATC (air trafic control) center and see for yourself. What this means is that they cannot even see non participating traffic, and so could not prevent a collision between, say, an airliner and a private pilot flying VFR (that means visual flight rules, which is how most private pilots fly).

A "squawk" is a digital code broadcast by all suitably equipped aircraft. 1200 is the code used if they are not in contact with air traffic control, but are just flying by themselves.

Edit:-

Since you are a high schooler, you probably don't know what it means when a government employee says "moral obligation". It just means that he is NOT required to do it, but he sometimes might just to be a nice guy! And they sometimes do - I have had VFR flight following myself sometimes. Other times, they have been too busy to take care of somebody like me, just because I happen to be flying an aeroplane.

This is how people talk in the US government.

• pontow

It may be very stessful and calls for a best deal of awareness and the capacity to multitask. Controllers ought to be competent track a number of frequencies, concentrate to shout traces, and concentrate to different ATC group of workers all concurrently. Good conversation expertise are a ought to. Good good fortune!!