Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 1 decade ago

ive cut my finger really badly when sharpening kitchen knives, im really worried, what should i do?!?

ok, so i was sharpening a large chefs knife, and i was sharpening it quite fast, and it slipped in the steel and sliced into my knuckle on my index finger, i quickly put it under the cold water tap, and noticed it had the black dust from the steel in my cut. i tried to clean it out but some is still in there. i can not open the cut again because its gone through to my bone and really hurts. how long will this take to heal? and will the black dust off the steal infect it? im quite worried about this. i have 2 plasters around it but a bit of blood is still coming through and my fingers gone like a purple colour. any info would be really helpful. and is there any ideas on how to make it heal faster? thanks in advance,

sarah.

Favorite Answer

you can type pretty well for such a sever finger cut!

You need to go to the doctor ASAP and yes, those metal fragments can cause irritation and possibly infection.

You need to open the wound up again and rinse with appropriate temperature water, (you can also add a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, but you need the wound as clean as possible. if it's too the bone, you most likely need stitches and a tetanus shot if you ar edue.

OK I'll help you in Caring for your Knives. I use Henkells. Sharpen knives on a whetstone (can get one at the hardware store) and stroke at a 20 degree angle each side of the blade at least 10 times with long even smooth strokes and then when they are sharp, use the Steel to realign the edge and remove any nicks at the same 20 degree angle. Do this with both sides of the blade. You should really realign your blades every couple of times you use them and only sharpen when required. Good Luck. You could always take them to a professional service. but I like my own whetstone. For good knives I do not recommend putting them into electrical devices to sharpen them as they cut into the steel. Always remember that the Steel (that one that looks like the poker and a little rough) does not sharpen it only aligns the blade which is why you need the whetstone. Actually if you don't have a whetstone you can use the underside of a ceramic pot that isn't glazed but has a flat surface without ridges. My Grandpa used the kitchen step to sharpen all his blades and alligned them on his leather belt hooked over the kitchen chair.

If it is bleeding through your dressings you should probably go to the hospital and get it checked out, they will be able to clean it an dress it for you properly and tell you ho long it will take to heal. It sounds like you may also need stitches.

You should wrap a clean cloth around it or cut off a length of bandage or sterile dressing and use that. And keep pressure on it with your other hand.

Feel better! x

• googie

Get to the Doctor or a clinic immediately. This requires a good cleaning and stitching along with proper covering to cause proper healing. Purple is NOT GOOD.

Go to casualty.. you could have damaged nerves etc and you may need to get the steel washed out with saline or something similar. A doctor is definitely what you need. Don't ignore it or you could lose your finger or get septecemia or other infections which could do greater damage to your health.

You really must get to accident and emergency and get it cleaned properly. The steal will stay in there and will probably become infected.

Wrap it in a clean cloth (not cotton wool etc as the fibres will get stuck) and go to A&E, you may need a stitch too

Sounds like you should get stitches! Head to the ER and get it taken care of.

Umm maybe a doctor would be a good person to ask that question?

Okay go to the emergancy room. Good Luck! Hope you feel better! -Samantha

Go to the ER asap.