What are the online sales tax rates?

I just started up a logo design company online. I have a website but haven't had any customers yet. What should I set the sales tax to for each state? Is there any website that helps me with information on the online sales tax rate? Please Note that I email the logos I design to customers and never have to ship items to them. Do I still have to pay sales tax in this case? If so how much for each state?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

Assuming that your physical presence is on your home state only, you only need collect sales tax on goods and services provided within your own state. Contact your state sales tax authorities to register to collect and render sales taxes as needed.

The method of delivery is irrelevant. If your customer is in your state and if the service is taxable (many are) then you must collect and render sales tax.

Rules may be different in each state. Normally you charge sales tax for whichever cities you have an office in. Otherwise you do not have to charge. Services are not always taxed.