What are your thoughts on the dear Laura Letter that's been going around?

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.

When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it is an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of

God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations.

A friend of mine claims that this applies only to Mexicans but not Canadians.

Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7.

In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know I'm not allowed contact with a woman during her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24.

The problem is how do I tell? I tried asking, but got biffed across the chops for my trouble.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9.

The problem is my neighbors. The odor annoys the hell out of them.

Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death.

Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that although eating shellfish is an abomination -

Lev. 11:10, he feels it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree.

Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses.

Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27.

How should they die?

9. I know from Lev.11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but can I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).

He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot.

Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.

Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

Your learned expertise in these testing matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Vincent copy and past is easier, bu sure. hey used to me made out of pig skin, but they are mostly rubber now. To get one from pug skin I imagine would be expensive.

Eli

No I am not sure, that's why i asked about this one going around. I have seen it posted several times today. This was the latest rendition I have seen.

Favorite Answer

This was actually cribbed from an episode (Season 2, episode III, "The Midterms") of the television series "The West Wing, " written by Aaron Sorkin :-) The text of the exchange between the characters of President Bartlett and Dr. Jenna Jacobs (a right-wing radio talk-show host, who has pointedly remained seated when everyone else in the room stood upon the entrance of the President) follows:

"President Josiah Bartlet: You're Dr. Jenna Jacobs, right?

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: Yes, Sir.

President Josiah Bartlet: Forgive me, Dr. Jacobs. Are you an

M.D.?

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: A Ph.D.

President Josiah Bartlet: A Ph.D.

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: Yes, Sir.

President Josiah Bartlet: Psychology?

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: No, Sir.

President Josiah Bartlet: Theology?

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: No.

President Josiah Bartlet: Social work?

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: I have a Ph.D. in English literature.

President Josiah Bartlet: I'm asking 'cause on your show, people call in for advice and you go by the name Dr. Jacobs on your show, and I didn't know if maybe your listeners were confused by that and assumed you had advanced training in psychology, theology or health care.

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: I don't believe they are confused. No, Sir.

President Josiah Bartlet: Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President. The Bible does.

President Josiah Bartlet: Yes it does. Leviticus.

Dr. Jenna Jacobs: 18:22.

President Josiah Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I have you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? One last thing: while you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant TightAss Club, in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits. "

I thought it was priceless.

i've seen this so many times.

i'm an agnostic coming from an extensive christian background...i'm currently at a christian university too.

anyway, i'll answer this as if i were a fundamentalist christian, since i know all the arguments lol:

1) the covenant of the NT (read: what jesus did) makes many of the OT (old testament) laws unnecessary

2) the OT laws were created in a specific culture, some of the laws reflect this culture and time- for example, maybe that dead pig had some bad diseases or something that made it dangerous at the time, not now, so that's why ppl no longer have to follow those rules

3) many things in the bible can't be explained

again, i'm an agnostic, so i don't necessary know how to interpret the bible. but just know that, while many so-called biblical mores such as condemning homosexuality (personally don't believe it's a 'sin', btw), it's not so simple to tear down the fundamentalist's argument by pointing out certain OT laws that christians don't follow today.

peace and best to you

:)

• Eli

Here's the video of the scene Trish posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWqgD7lGneU

Youtube thumbnail

Tessa - I've heard that argument before, that Jesus wiped out the old covenant of the Old Testament and replaced it with a new one. But that still doesn't stop people from picking and choosing from the OT, does it?

Skyclad - Are you sure this was actually posted on Dear Laura? It seems like one of those things that gets typed up and passed around, and gets an origin story attached to it that isn't necessarily true.

What dear Laura Letter? Not everyone here's from America (thank God)

• Mintee

erm.. to the person above TEssa.. didnt Jesus himself say "I came to not change the laws but to uphold the laws of my forefathers"

so Jesus did not change anything.. someone else did.. who? Paul.. he changed all of what Jesus did..

• Lol, I like it. If I add you to my contacts, could you email me that? Thanks.

And just on a slight point of clarification; do they still make American footballs from actual pigskin?

EDIT: Thanks dude.