master cylinder if its bad does it make a sound?

whats the symptoms?

whts it cost to get the part too for a 95 beretta

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The only sound it makes is WHAM! when it completely fails and you crash. The symptoms are usually pedal going to the floor before the car starts to slow. Sometimes there can be a normal pressure on the pedal that when you push it a little further it goes to the floor.

In reality, the master cylinder is designed so that when the primary side fails the secondary side will do all the braking. So you probably won't fail completely and crash, but your stopping power will be drastically reduced and sometimes can cause lock up in the rear brakes. This is dangerous in high-speed, panic situations.

Source(s): I am Edward Sockethands!
  • 5 years ago

that could be brakes that are way out of adjustment. id take it in for a brake inspection but let the service writer know what the issue is. i want to make sure that it is noted on the paperwork the nature of the situation and i will explain why. years ago, i was given a car to do an inspection on for no particular reason. it was a cold engine on a cold morning, so what happens, the engine is running at a higher rpm. not knowing that there was an actual brake problem, i dropped it into reverse and it lurched backwards for about 200 feet, jumped over a curb, dropped over a 3 foot drop, and so on. a rough start that was and i still had to find the problem. i found mine, the fool was bleeding the brakes through where the flexible line comes to the brake caliper rather than the bleeder screw, i replaced the copper washers at that point, bled the system and all was normal again aside form the damaged license plate.

• Dan
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Your master cylinder doesn't make any noise. When it goes out it make your brake pedal go all the way to the floor and to stop you have to pump your brakes. Also if it is real hard to put down on the brake pedal your master cylinder is going bad. Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone carry them for around 30.00

Source(s): ASE Master Mechanic
  • 1 decade ago

Well yes they'd probably leak and if you check around to the car parts outlets you probably be looking at 150 to 300 bucks for a new one but if you check with the do it yourself auto wreckers or the wreckers they may have one or find one for you used for 50 to 100 bucks.

Hope that helps and best of luck.By the way make sure you bleed the brake system very well and you can get info regarding the proper steps needed to be performed from some of the car parts outlet stores .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • moe h
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

easy to replace if you are a mechanic and know how to bench bleed a master cyl..spend a few bux and have a mechanic do it if you dont know how.I agree with the other posts the part is really cheap to buy.

• 1 decade ago

Your brakes would seem sluggish on the pedal press (if it's GOING BAD I might add) as they wouldn't have that power they used to have.

http://www.autozone.com/N,14400761//shopping/partT...

http://www.autozone.com/N,14400007//shopping/partT...

You'll want to add in the brake fluid slowly on each pour.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

master cylinder will leak fluid when bad.

• 1 decade ago

yes, when the master cylinder goes bad, its followed by the sound,.....CRASH.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it won,t make any sound. you just won,t have brakes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.