HOW TO GO ALL OUT AT A SWIM MEET?

Sometimes I know I'm going as fast as I can but I don't understand how some kids can be faster than others...do they just know something I don't and go harder. I warm up and everything it's just when I dive in I don't feel like trying and it takes me like a lap to get going and focus

Favorite Answer

it's technique. everyone has different swimming technique. If you look at micheal phelps' swimming style you'll notice that he does sorta like a butterfly kick on his freestyle. it's not hte perfect form but it fits for him. the movement of your arm, the angle of your hand, the way you bend your knee, the way you kick, the way you flick, the way you glide, and the way your arm in angle all determines the speed you go. Long distance swimmer such as myself rely more on gliding so our arms are spend more inside the pool meaning longer strokes but more powerful, unlike the 50 yard sprinters who just speeds like a demon.

Anyways it also depends on the drag, your arm strenght, your arm lenght, feet lenght, body hair, and stamina. Your breathing pattern also affects your speed. It's all about reducing drag and increasing your speed.

When you hit the wall you also have to over come the force you brought with you before you hit that wall. some ppl streamline better than other.

The way you enter the pool (dive) also counts. whether you take the first breath on the first stroke or not.

there's many factors in swimming and each are factors in the race

even your will to win is a factor. So it's hard to say why some ppl are faster than other.

someone else said it, but it really is all about form kid. heres what you want to do, "NEVER LOOK AT THE PERSON NEXT TO YOU"(unless your getting closer to the end) dont take a breath until your second lap of your 50, or as long as you can, don't take it before your flipturn or for the first stroke after your flipturn, keep your kicks in rythym dont kick too high out of the water, your dolphin kick is important when you dive and so is your streamline, make sure you make those as long as they can possibly propel you without losing time, when you come up lengthen your strokes and pull hard, make sure that you are rolling with your arms (but only slightly), keep your breaths short and keep your head down only breathing from under your armpit, and lastly and yet again try to hold out on breathing on all sprints, if you do distance its a little different but 100's and 50's keep that head down only breathing when it is 150% neccesary

You will go faster when you train more for sure. They go faster, because they have less resistance/they are in better shape. If you don't feel like you can get going, try and warm up extra and if there is a warm up pool available during the meet, then do sprints to warm up right before your race

Try focusing on the people in the lanes next to you, just try to stay right on them the whole time if its possible. If they even get ahead of you a little bit, sprint to catch up. This is what technique I use, and make sure if you're really really neck and neck with someone at the end you stop roatating your head to breathe and just kick like crazy to finish before them. Its mostly just being competitive, like you have to want to beat the people next to you.

I have the same problem.

NEVER look to the lanes beside you, only worry where you are.

If your competitor is ahead you will see them but never look back or to the side.

Sometimes it depends on your height, your amount of training, and your overall swimming ability.

Ultimately you should be focused on your stroke and the water

u have to want to win. if u dont, u wont race well at all. get yourself pumped by saying in your head "OMG that person over there is catching up!@" (dont actually look tho) and then speed up to pass the imaginary person.