DxLugio asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

What would happen in NFL if all backup QB's get injured?

Ok so say that, the first string QB is injured and is out for the whole season. Then there are 2 QBs lefts. Then both get injured...., what would happen? does the team forfiet, are there more back up QBs?

Favorite Answer

I'm assuming you mean they get injured during the same game... in this case, someone on the roster would fill the position. It could be someone who played in college, maybe high school, or who volunteers and the coach thinks is the best bet.

A little bit different of a scenario, Wes Welker (a wide receiver) played place kicker for the Dolphins when their kicker went down during a game. He hadn't kicked field goals since high school, besides an extra point in college that missed. My point is, they find someone on the team and throw him in.

They would not forfeit, but you'd likely see a lot more runs if someone who is not normally a quarterback was under center. Most teams have 3 quarterbacks active on a given week, but the premise was if all of them got hurt.

If they were going to be out for an extended period of time, they could sign a quarterback from the practice squad, but this obviously does not help if a game is already in progress.

The would just sign somone from the practice squad, pick up a free agent or, if it's prior to the trade deadline, try to trade for a QB.

If all else fails, they'd have someone else who is decent at passing to play QB. There's no way they would forfeit a game. I'm banking they would just direct snap to the RB before they would forfeit.

some other guy will play QB I remember Tom Tupa the punter for the cardinals and some other teams played QB sometimes and a few weeks ago Marcus Hagans a WR for the Chiefs was taking snaps at QB

They would either play somebidy who has a decent arm, pick a free agent, possibly trade for a new QB or activate a QB that is on their practice squad.

A WR or RB would probably step in. Whoever used to qb in high school or college most likely.

Well I SUPPOSE you could try using the punter, other than the QB, he's the only one who receives snaps... LMAO

Source(s): I'm kidding of course.

every team has at least one QB on their practice squad and then there is free agency

Most teams have a versatile reciever or running back

reminds me of how denver lost all their running backs

well that would kinda suck. they would have to find a new qb asap...i dont think they would forfeit, thats not really possible

they have to pick up free agents