Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Can 18 yr old boy and 15 yr old girl get married without parental consent?

Basically ive been with my boyfriend for over a year my parents knew about it and were ok with it my mother who i was living with neglected me(wouldnt enroll me in school wouldnt buy me clothes and bareley bought me food) and so i went to live with my father who was going to let us get married he even went to a mediator for the court and approved but had to reschedule the appointment because of work then he went to jail for abusing me because he is bi-polar and didnt take his medication a few days before the appointment. is there any way i can still marry my boyfriend or at least get emancipated?

by the way my boyfriend just turned 18 and i am 15 and a half and we love each other more than anything

Favorite Answer

First of all, don't get married when you're fifteen because it's a terrible idea. You can love each other and not be married. And trust me, 15 year olds make terrible choices. I know. At 15 I was one of the most mature people I know and still, less than 3 years later, I look back on those years and wonder what on Earth I was thinking.

I know no less than four people who were engaged when we were 15, and exactly 0 of them are still with their fiancees. I'm not saying it's not gonna work. I'm saying that you can't tell who someone is after a year. Here's my advice: date until you're 18. When you're 18, live together for a year. If you can still tolerate the sight of each other after that much time get married then.

Christ, I sound like my mom. I started dating my boyfriend when I was 15 and he was 19, she almost had a coronary. When I turned 18, I moved in with him. I'm gonna tell you this: you cannot possibly commit to someone until you've determined that you can live with them in your room and your private space 24/7. We've been dating more than two and a half years and we love each other very much. But with the 'wisdom of age' comes the realization that love is not always enough to keep people together forever. If this is gonna work we're both gonna have to make serious changes. Same with you and your boyfriend: You're still in school, and you'll still have school for another 2-3 years. Is he gonna leave you alone and let you study? He might stay up late on weekdays he doesn't have work in the morning, are you going to be able to sleep? Do you need music or a tv to sleep, and can he deal with that? I like the dishes done and he likes to let them pile up, he likes leaving his shoes and clothes all over the floor and I like being able to get up in the morning without tripping over stuff in the dark.

Tiny things you never think about until you realize you've promised to spend your entire life (that's at least 60 years, four times the length of your entire life so far) living with this guy.

What it boils down to is when you turn 18, legally your not allowed to have sex with him; because the legal age for consent is 16. 1) If his mother called the cops it's hard to prove you did anything wrong [IE how would they know if you had sex with him in the 2 months he's still 15] 2) You've been dating him previous to turning 18, so your not going to be thrown in jail. 3) The law isn't out to punish you for having a relationship, don't worry about it. If you really concerned, and don't want anything to happen; avoid having sex with him in the 2 months he's 15, once he's 16 screw like bunnies.

No offense intended, so please don't take this badly, but you're nuts.

Wait it out, you have a long life ahead of you. Honestly, people change a LOT within the years 1-22. After that is when we as a species settle into our true selves. While you may be infatuated with him right now, there's no telling how either of you will change in the upcoming few years.

I say this not to turn you down or away, but only as a rule of guidance. I speak from personal experience when I note that people change.

Nope because in the United States a minor can not legally enter into contracts, including a marriage, without parental consent.

I think you need to be 16 to be emancipated, sorry, and it is a long, difficult process.

And you need consent from your parents until you are 18. Well good luck! You should look up more on the emancipation process.

Actually, if you and your boyfriend are having sex, he can be arrested for raping you. You are a minor and not able to give consent.

At 15 are you able to completely support yourself, rent an apartment, pay for health insurance, go to school? Until you can do this, you cannot be emancipated.

NO they cannot and the 18 year old should be real careful he is risking jail

Source(s): www.thelaw.com

Nope. You must have your parents/legal gaurdians say that they approve, because you're not an adult. Sucks huh? I'm sorry about your situation, it sounds terrible ('cept the being in love part...)

If you move to Georgia, and get pregnant with him, they might let you guys marry. Might, but it's kinda rare.

you can only get emancipated if you can show you are able to take care of yourself. if you can you may be able to get him to be your foster parent?