Obama is president now?

Even though Im not black Im hispanic, do you think more positions will be available to non white peoples and will this victory encourage more disadvantaged people to particiapate in goverment?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

yes mostly bc obama rox

• 1 decade ago

No. Racism is a personal choice, not government policy (anymore). Except for physical and mental disabilities, people are only really disadvantaged by their own attitudes. Therefore, those who are racist will remain so. Those who see themselves as disadvantaged because of their skin color or gender will be disadvantaged…a self fulfilling prophecy. Those who deny jobs and opportunity to people they hate will continue to do so. There are already laws against this, but there are ways around it. A black president will not change anything.

On the other hand, Obama and the Dem Congress could mandate quotas for hiring minorities. Extraordinarily bad idea, but it would artificially create more positions for non-whites.

• Gypsy
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Color doesn't make a difference regardless of the President. Get an education and work hard. If you work for jerks, don't expect to get anywhere.. It's YOUR responsibility to find a job/career that you will have the best chance of climbing up the corporate ladder.

If the color of your skin was the only reason to land a better job, I'd spend 8 hours a day in the sun so I wasn't so pale.

Even "white" people get crappy jobs but it's because they don't do anything to better themselves.

• 1 decade ago

@ xXI Captain IXx - What do you mean "you people"?

Just messing around, but seriously. Black people are not disadvantaged in this country. Think of all the colleges & businesses that need to meet racial diversity quotas!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The govt positions are already open to non white people. Non white people just need to apply. Believe it or not they are many currently working for the government as we speak.

• 1 decade ago

well get your facts right he is not officially President till Jan 20th.

and there are positions available to all citizens of this country, the reason why most don't have what they want is the lack of education, appearance, poor english , job experience, criminal record etc etc etc

this Applies to all humans.

Source(s): human resources manger = the person who hires
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It will happen eventually. Someone from any race can be president as long as your over 35, born in the U.S, and your a resident of the U.S. for 14 years. I think this will encourage colored-people to join government.

• R. H
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Definitely. America is multi-cultural as is President-elect Barack Obama. He grew up without the advantages of many privileged people, yet still attended Harvard and Columbia universities. He has shown that the 'brass ring' is attainable.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no, nothing is going to change, you people need to understand that just because the president is black, that doesn't mean the whole country is just going to flip around, it's going to take a lot of time... I'm not racist, just gonna throw that out there...

• 1 decade ago

Are you saying that anyone who is not white is disadvataged? I really hope your just to benighted to undersand what your asking.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.