Heathen asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Is a 19 hour wait in the E.R. with no treatment the future of universal health care? Or is it here already?

I'm not sure if you've heard the story. Look here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27299090/

Whether government or private, health care comes down to how it's administered, now how it's paid for.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

buddy, whenever i go to the "emergency room" i sit there for HOURS. at least 2-3 hours.

so give me a break, it can't get any worse.

exactly, the number of sick people won't increase just because the government is paying for it. it all comes down to how it's administered like you said.

• 1 decade ago

The problem with the long waits in the ER is that many people use the ER inappropriately. It's for emergencies: life threatening and serious injuries or illnesses. Not for flu shots, or well baby checks or a sore throat. There are urgent care clinics for that.

There are a few things that are concerns for me, regarding universal healthcare. We have a nursing shortage now, with a big percentage of nurses ready to retire in the next 5 years. The average life expectancy of a nurse is 10 years, before burnout sets in and another career path is taken. Nurses are overworked and underpaid now! I am waiting to see how a universal healthcare package is going to address this. It doesn't do anyone any good to have the govt pay for healthcare when there are no healthcare workers!

Second: The vast majority of healthcare money spent over a person's lifetime happens in the last 6 months of life. The VAST majority. So, when the program costs more than what the govt thinks it will (and it will, no question), and they have to look at cutting costs, are they going to start deciding who gets those last measures, or who has to be taken off life support, who has to have the tube feedings stopped? Is the government, in the name of rationing healthcare dollars, going to start taking these decisions away from the families?

Thanks.

Source(s): RN
  • JMB
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No system is perfect. You can have universal health care and supplemental insurance if you wish. Many can not afford any care at all.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Read this article about socialized health care:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1185006/i...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

So you are saying that we need more of the same. You are proving my point.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.